Removing stripped master cylinder bolts

maddogYZ

Aug 24, 2007
Anybody have a good tip on how to remove stripped master cyclinder bolts? I went to bleed the brakes today and one bolt refused to budge resulting in a rounded phillips head. Of course they're flush so ya can't get vise-grips on it :pissed:

Someone

Mar 12, 2001
Tap on the cylinder with a hammer a few times while trying to turn. You could also use an impact driver to get it loose.

maddogYZ

Aug 24, 2007
IndyYZ85 said:
small screw driver, small hammer.. use like a chisel, tap lightly until it starts turning.

Thanks man that worked. It took a good beating but finally broke loose. In the process the vibration from pounding on the screw loosened the banjo fitting bolt. When I squeezed the lever fluid squirted out of the banjo fitting then sucked a bunch of air into the line! Aarrggghhhh!!! :bang:

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
I've had good luck with impact drivers. I replace the screws with stainless steel screws and use a dab of anti-seize on them. The stainless is harder and more resistant to stripping than the standard screws. The anti-seize prevents them from seizing up in the first place. After replacing the screws, I never again have problems with them.

Bunya

Apr 26, 2007
76GMC1500 said:
...stainless is harder and more resistant to stripping than the standard screws...
It's also very noble which mitigates the effects of galvanic corrosion which is the most common cause of fasteners becoming difficult to remove.

Another tip, before attempting to remove any Torx or SHCS (Allen), clean the debris out the socket first so the wrench will make full contact. If you don't, the chances of it camming out and stripping go way up.

Top Bottom