So, Bubba using Traction Control, or not?

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
With the rear wheel sensor on James Stewart's YZ at Phoenix, what do you think is going on here?

They certainly have plenty of experience with it in the race shop at YMUS. Keith McCarty was a wrench back in the day, after all. He certainly knows how to win! :worship: ;) :debil: :p

It will be interesting to see & hear what's up. :cool:
Other thoughts?

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Are anti-lock brakes legal? If so, then it must be ABS ;)

Going to be hard to prove exactly what it is and does without Yamaha's complete co-operation.

If it is traction control, I hope the AMA will find out and enforce its rules.

OTOH, traction control would be a nice thing to have on production bikes someday.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
ABS on the back would sure save a lot of rotors from turning blue! Wired up to the computer for management, or storage/information is my query. It is about 5 years overdue. The idea has been around a long time!

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
IndyMX said:
What about them running radios so Stewie can chat with the mechanics while racing..

Where'd you hear that? Radio communication is illegal and so is traction control and using the system on Stewart's bike during a race for data acquisition. On the broadcast when they showed Stewarts rear caliper I didn't see the speed sensor in place.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
They played clips of radio chatter between Bubbles and crew this week and last.. Not to say that it was during the actual racing, but it definitely sounded like him. So don't know..

Of course they said during the broadcast that the sensor was hidden under the caliper guard.. I didn't see it either. Perhaps they saw it in practice and just couldn't let it go.

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
Those radio clips are the JGR team headsets between the spotters/mechanics and Team Manager Jeremy Albrecht, nothing to do with James or any other rider.

SMMWest

Mod Ban
Dec 7, 2008
http://i1020.photobucket.com/albums/af328/XRWilly/Biker Florida Pictures Two/Bubba-1.jpg

Wow look at that Traction Control Device. So big. So bold. Can't you see it clear as day? Right there connected to the back of his bike, to his rear brake caliper. That is cheating.

Sarcasm.

People really will do and say anything to hurt the legacy of James "Bubba" Stewart. The fastest man ever to throw a leg over a Motocross Bike (yes even more shear flat out speed then Ricky Carmichael) has to be a cheater.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Chili said:
Those radio clips are the JGR team headsets between the spotters/mechanics and Team Manager Jeremy Albrecht, nothing to do with James or any other rider.

10-4

That's what I originally thought, however, the chatter they played at Phoenix sounded a lot like JS

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
SMMWest said:
http://i1020.photobucket.com/albums/af328/XRWilly/Biker Florida Pictures Two/Bubba-1.jpg

Wow look at that Traction Control Device. So big. So bold. Can't you see it clear as day? Right there connected to the back of his bike, to his rear brake caliper. That is cheating.

Sarcasm.

People really will do and say anything to hurt the legacy of James "Bubba" Stewart. The fastest man ever to throw a leg over a Motocross Bike (yes even more shear flat out speed then Ricky Carmichael) has to be a cheater.

:blah: Whatever. If Bubba wanted a better legacy, he should have taken a few titles (or even just ONE) from RC when he had the chance. Or maybe he could have trained harder/set up his bike a lot better (take your pick) at Unadilla last year, and actually earned a spot on the MXoN team instead of crying about being railroaded.

Look, in today's world of EFI and sophisticated computers, a 'stealth' traction control device is highly possible. A sensor on the wheel or brake disc might be the only visible component. The magic would happen in the computer, which could instantly alter the fuel injection. If such a sensor is observed on someone's bike, that person gets put under scrutiny. It just happens to be Bubba this time.

SMMWest

Mod Ban
Dec 7, 2008
dirt bike dave said:
If such a sensor is observed on someone's bike, that person gets put under scrutiny. It just happens to be Bubba this time.

When is it correct and moral to falsely accuse people. Good thing James is a Motocross Racer and not just an Average Black guy in an Average Neighborhood in America. It would be okay to Pull Him over for him smoking a Cigarette and take him down to the Station until that Tobacco was tested and deemed not Marijuana, because with todays technology when someone is observed doing something (if it is the TRUTH or not) they are "put under scrutiny".

Innocent until proven Guilty

NOT

Guilty until proven Innocent.

James "Bubba" Stewart and his Team did nothing wrong.

What about when Ricky Johnson (my favorite rider of all time. the greatest Motocross Racer in the History of the sport) had his bike come up light and his Mechanic Brian Lunis ran to the Box Van and got a huge chunk of Metal and Placed it on the Seat and said "this piece fell off during the race". Now that is cheating. No one ever talked about that. James Stewart doesn't cheat and it is the talk of the industry. Double standard.

Regardless of how people feel about him. Want to ruin him. Whatever. James "Bubba" Stewart is the very best in the sport. Next will be Trey Canard but right now it is Bubba's time.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Someone has a massive chip on their shoulder.

Fact: Bubba has not been declared guilty of anything. It's all speculation on the internet. If Chad Reed or Ryan Villopoto had the same device the reaction would be the SAME.

Play the race card somewhere else - it does not fly with me.

Did the AMA take Bubba's victory away without evidence? No, they did not. If they had, you would hear me calling 'RACISM' as loud as anyone.

JBS is a prominant professional racer, perhaps the highest paid athlete in his sport. He is subject to scrutiny as others are in his field. If he's got a mysterious new device on his bike and not talking about it, his competitors will make innuendoes. That is part of the mind games that get played in motorsports.

SMMWest

Mod Ban
Dec 7, 2008
dirt bike dave said:
Play the race card somewhere else - it does not fly with me.

Many people need to really admit the reason why the "HATE" James "Bubba" Stewart. Plain and Simple.

Just like I get on my Black Friends who are Boxing Fans but won't ever support a Black Boxer again once he takes a loss to a White fighter. Once he loses to a White fighter he is the worst piece of scum on the earth to them and that isn't right or moral.

Oh yeah and I can't wait until NASCAR and Bass Masters is next. Maybe Bubba will give NASCAR a run in his elder days.

:rotfl:

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
SMMWest said:
Many people need to really admit the reason why the "HATE" James "Bubba" Stewart. Plain and Simple.

Many people need to really admit that, when they are determined to find racism, they will always find it. Even when it's just not there. Plain and simple.

IMO, if a competitor's mechanic makes a remark on national TV about Bubba's bike, fans of the sport should be able to discuss it on the web without your veiled accusations of racism.

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
SMMWest said:
When is it correct and moral to falsely accuse people. Good thing James is a Motocross Racer and not just an Average Black guy in an Average Neighborhood in America. It would be okay to Pull Him over for him smoking a Cigarette and take him down to the Station until that Tobacco was tested and deemed not Marijuana, because with todays technology when someone is observed doing something (if it is the TRUTH or not) they are "put under scrutiny".

Innocent until proven Guilty

NOT

Guilty until proven Innocent.

James "Bubba" Stewart and his Team did nothing wrong.

What about when Ricky Johnson (my favorite rider of all time. the greatest Motocross Racer in the History of the sport) had his bike come up light and his Mechanic Brian Lunis ran to the Box Van and got a huge chunk of Metal and Placed it on the Seat and said "this piece fell off during the race". Now that is cheating. No one ever talked about that. James Stewart doesn't cheat and it is the talk of the industry. Double standard.

Regardless of how people feel about him. Want to ruin him. Whatever. James "Bubba" Stewart is the very best in the sport. Next will be Trey Canard but right now it is Bubba's time.

You've pretty much cemented the fact you're a complete tool in this thread and nowhere was even the remotest thing mentioned racial into you felt the need to toss it into the mix.

FACT: Stewart's team is using a Get Data Acquisition system that has capabilities that would be considered illegal to use during competition. Even though they aren't using those capabilities during the race another team mentions it, TV producer picks up on it and has pit reporter ask about it for a little made for TV drama. End of story.

I would suggest that RC, DV and Reed all faced much worse scrutiny and accusations over the leaded fuel fiasco, was that racism as well?

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
So it is not a traction control device. And being data acquisition, is illegal to run in a pro race, but legal for practice. I will quit looking at all the helmet cams! There used to be a traction control switch, that retarded the timing a tad for killer starts. Honda marketed a traction control system also.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Jean Michel Bayle (as fast or faster than Bubba, BTW) was routinely treated badly, even by his teamates.

Danny LaPorte lost a title when Hannah Let Broc bye (sic)

Marty Smith was oficially given 2nd overall in a GP and deprived of his first GP win even though he tied on points and won the 2nd moto.

Rex Staten and Vic Allen came to blows on the track at the USGP.

Ron Lechien got arrested for ganja.

Danny Storbeck landed on Rick Johnson's wrist and ruined Rick's career.

RC used to get criticized for running his rear ride height low and crashing in the whoops.

David Vuilleman got punted off the track by KDub and the AMA only gave KDub a slap on the wrist.

People poke fun at Chad Reed for proclaiming himself a warrior and for having a sandy mangina.

Mike Alessi got taken out in the last corner at Hangtown a few years ago (by Langston, I think) and lost a win when he could not push his bike up the finish line jump.

Would it be worse somehow if any of those things had happened to JBS?

pesky nz

Sep 13, 2010
If cheating was on the menu then there would be nothing showing on the outside. The team is too smart to display for any reason other than a bunch of free publicity and to play with other peoples minds. Road race traction control has sensors on the crankshaft (thousands of rpm), rear wheels spin at too slow a speed in my mind. Abs sensors require a plate with notches passing a sensor to send approx 40 pulses per wheel rotation so would be hard to hide. I think his team is winding us up (and it's working)

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
SMMWest said:
Just want to see the man get what his just due. He is the best in the sport right now. He deserves that credit and "NOTHING" less.

Are you the official James Stewart respect rep now?

He doesn't deserve any more respect from me than any other guy who lines up at the gate every week. He's done absolutely nothing for me personally. I respect his ability, but I don't really know him, so I don't have any reason to give him undue respect.

I do not hate the guy or his team. I reserve the right to say whatever I please about him on here, whether you are here to insure that he is respected or not.

Last edited:
Top Bottom