So, Bubba using Traction Control, or not?

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Bubba is just another fast guy that never managed to put it all together to meet the expectations / hype of him becoming pro which is pretty much the same thing that happened to Pastrana. Of course Travis is an infinitely more likeable guy in my book both from watching and meeting both of them in the pits a few times. Is that because both me and Travis are white? I doubt it and my friends that are various shades of beige to black would tend to agree that I'm no more an aspiring member of the KKK than they are. Bubba is fast but is also fast to end up looking for a mineral sample on the floor of the stadium.... just like the very white Travis P.

I have never been a Bubba fan but it's because I didn't like his actions, words and attitude as a professional and no other reason. Maybe I can just relate better to the goofy Travis P. and that's why I liked him and not Bubba. Heck who knows and really who cares.... besides SMMWest :laugh:

I hope SMMWest will join me in acknowledging Confederate Memorial Day much as I did MLK Day yesterday. If not it would seem that SMMWest may be the bigot in the room. Heck maybe it's because he's a fat midget for all I know in which case it would seem RC would be his boy.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
some races spell it baguette and it may or may not be a little folks resemblance...you decide

Attachments

• French_baguette.jpg
    French_baguette.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 186

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
SMMWest said:
Many people need to really admit the reason why the "HATE" James "Bubba" Stewart. Plain and Simple.
Just like I get on my Black Friends who are Boxing Fans but won't ever support a Black Boxer again once he takes a loss to a White fighter. Once he loses to a White fighter he is the worst piece of scum on the earth to them and that isn't right or moral.

Then why even mention it? :coocoo: Plain to see who is the ****** here.

In regard to Traction Control. If the race teams are not experimenting with traction control, they aren't doing their jobs. That is how new and innovative ideas become main-stream. Like Ken said, they were using traction control in road racing long before it was legal. Now, it's on the new bikes on your dealers showroom floor. Way back then they said it was the rev-limiter making that funny noise coming off of the corners. :whoa: Same with F-1. There was that noise again. Wether or not they are trying traction control, I would doubt that James has very much to do with it. Other than being asked what he thinks of how the bike reacts to it. No need to blame anyone, it's just part of racing and development.

IMO, traction control on an MX bike would be more of a detriment than an advantage. Unless you could switch it on and off at will, it could get you in trouble. How do you panic rev? How do you back-it-into the corner under power? How do you steer with the rear wheel? Lots of questions.

Traction control, while improving lap times in road racing has been the death of Moto GP. What was once a great sport with super hero's backing-it-in and powersliding out of the corners has become a parade. Little runts like Danny Pedrosa, hardly bigger than one of Preds Leprechauns just hang on and point. No longer about long graceful powersildes like McCoy used to pull. Now, it's about corner speed. Even Rossi and Hayden said they wanted to eliminate traction control.

In regard to Stewart. I used to respect him. When he first showed up at the Kawi test track I was very impressed. I even posted on DRN about watching this new kid on his KX125. He did things on a motorcycle that I had never seen done before. Over the years I have lost respect for him only because of his actions both on and off the track. I certainly don't hate him. Has nothing to do with his color since when we are dressed for battle, we all look the same.

You guys need to keep the lid on that tool box a little tighter. ;) ;)

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
IndyMX said:
Wow, I'm thinking there was way too much effort put into this post. :whoa:

nah google said it took 'em .0000017secs

SMMWest

Mod Ban
Dec 7, 2008
oldguy said:
SMMWest as in the past is nothing but a troll trying to stir up people and has now resorted to using race as his bait. I admit I am prejudiced against Trolls (regardless of color) that get so fixated on their crusade they refuse to see the light around them.
I will be watching to see if the device is still attached this weekend and if it suddenly disappears my opinion is that it was illegal or skating the edge close enough that they don't want to risk it being tested.
Does it really make a big difference as to where JBS finishes- I doubt it but the data retrieved could really make a major change in mapping and tire choice.
Will Stewart ever pass RC as the GOAT? Not in my mind and not because he is black but because he never capitalized on the chance and beat RC for an outright championship. Is he as fast as RC? Probably faster but it doesn't do him much good when he is laying on the ground (or his couch at home recovering from an injury)

Such an Excellent Post. Thank You sincerely for it.

TwinSpar

AssClown WannaBe
N. Texas SP
Aug 18, 1999
IndyMX said:
Who do you like Pred? Besides Twinny...

Pred and I had a little talk long ago.... And it went like this:

Pred: TwinSparticus! Where are you going?
TS: There is no place for me in this world. I don't belong out there, and I don't belong in here. So I'm going out into the Wilderness. Probably, to die.
Pred: Well, you might need this
[Gives TS the sword]
Pred: My mother gave it to me before she died. It was her lucky machete. You can have it.
TS: I hope to see you again little Predo. Maybe in the next life.
[Departs]

I don't know why he looks up to me because I often wonder... Precious Father, why have you given me this desire to race and then made me such a stinky warrior?

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Pred looks up to no man, only a few very tall buildings and the sun.

wake_rider

Feb 21, 2007
Wow, this thread got a bit out of control. Let's point out some obvious:

As of a comment by someone earlier asking if people would celebrate some "Confederate States Day" or something to that regard just as much as they would Martin Luther King Jr. Day, well, that's just ignorance. That would be like comparing Mother Theresa to Vlad the Impaler, and saying that each is due days in their respect. Uh, no... One fought for the common good of humanity while the other took common decency for humanity away. There is nothing worthy of reverence in the latter, and the same goes for the Dr. King vs Confederate States comparison.

If we were to be honest, there is some obvious negative slant and more suspicion aimed at James Stewart for the glaring reason that he is black. Our sport is dominated by rural people that have access to riding areas and exposure to the sport that many people in cities don't as commonly have. As such, you are dealing with a larger percentage of xenophobic people involved with this particular sport (and most racing sports, for that matter) than might be present at other events.

I have personal experience to this issue as my wife is Middle-Eastern, and we have had the displeasure of dealing with some incredibly prejudiced people occasionally at motocross races, but moreso at off-road events (in particular hare-scrambles/cross-country events). For the most part it has taken form of under-breath comments as she passed by or by the random "terrorist" joke/comment that is said loudly in our direction. She is great with her response as she just gives none and acts like it doesn't exist or laughs it off, but she has had a lifetime to develop her reactions to such moronic acts; myself on the other hand, well, let's just say that I can get a bit aggressive in the face of ignorance.

Just recently, though (specifically since the election of Obama), the sneering and off-color joking has been a bit more direct and offensive, to the point that my wife has all but quit coming to the events where I'm riding. She'll come periodically, but only if there are a few other people of our riding group to hang out with while I'm off doing my stuff; meaning, it's bad enough that she feels threatened while I'm not around. Apparently the cowards feel brave while surrounding a 5'2", 110 lb Persian gal, but always make sure to scuttle off just as soon as my riding group comes pulling up, which brings me to my next point: When you get a larger gathering of these types, they become a bit more brave and vocal, whereas they tend to keep to themselves whenever they're more of a minority (classic example of the pack mentality).

So, where was I going with this? Stewart most certainly has to deal with the added pressures of being of a different race than the majority of the fans and riders involved; that is a given and we would be ignorant to deny it as such.

<b>WITH THAT BEING SAID</b>, this group that we are speaking of is not anywhere near the majority of the fan-base, nor is it the majority of the people involved in the sport at the grass roots level. A few bad apples can give the entire bunch a bad name, which can also be the point made with the followers of Islam. Just a few extremist which count for less than a single percent of the population can give the entire group a bad wrap. The only problem I see is that, similar to the issue with Islam, the people at these events that are the minority problem starters are not called out by the people around them often enough and that's something that will change with time and some of the old, stubborn minds dying off.

Now, hear me out..... THIS CURRENT SITUATION WITH JBS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH HIS RACE, at least above the level of the fans, AND EVERYTHING TO DO WITH STIRRING UP SOME DOOKIE TO GET PEOPLE TALKING AND TO PROMOTE THE SPORT.... AND IT'S WORKING!!!! Just look at the amount of people talking about this particular subject. YES, JBS has some additional pressures to deal with but NO, Supercross does not act in the name of bigotry. They could care less what your color is as long as you drive up the ratings!

So basically, job well done, Speed Network and its talking heads! Is it cheap and cheesy, well heck yes it is, but what isn't now a days that involves tv and the general public. Cheap drama/reality schemes are gobbled up by the tv viewing community, and don't for one second think that Speed and Supercross don't know this. They are businesses and conduct themselves in whichever way will drive up their profit margins, there is no ethics involved. Strictly numbers...

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
dirt bike dave said:
Jean Michel Bayle (as fast or faster than Bubba, BTW) was routinely treated badly, even by his teamates.

Danny LaPorte lost a title when Hannah Let Broc bye (sic)

Marty Smith was oficially given 2nd overall in a GP and deprived of his first GP win even though he tied on points and won the 2nd moto.

Rex Staten and Vic Allen came to blows on the track at the USGP.

Ron Lechien got arrested for ganja.

Danny Storbeck landed on Rick Johnson's wrist and ruined Rick's career.

RC used to get criticized for running his rear ride height low and crashing in the whoops.

David Vuilleman got punted off the track by KDub and the AMA only gave KDub a slap on the wrist.

People poke fun at Chad Reed for proclaiming himself a warrior and for having a sandy mangina.

Mike Alessi got taken out in the last corner at Hangtown a few years ago (by Langston, I think) and lost a win when he could not push his bike up the finish line jump.

Would it be worse somehow if any of those things had happened to JBS?
Gosh, you friggin forgot to mention Jaroslav Falta in your list of injustices.

Last edited:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
wake_rider said:
As of a comment by someone earlier asking if people would celebrate some "Confederate States Day" or something to that regard just as much as they would Martin Luther King Jr. Day, well, that's just ignorance. That would be like comparing Mother Theresa to Vlad the Impaler, and saying that each is due days in their respect. Uh, no... One fought for the common good of humanity while the other took common decency for humanity away. There is nothing worthy of reverence in the latter, and the same goes for the Dr. King vs Confederate States comparison.
Ya' stepped right in that one. See your slanted opinion of what the confederate memorial day is about proves nobody is without some predjuice and ignorance of race or belief. :laugh: Your opinion is no more valid no matter what situation you, your wife or anybody else happens to experience but those things do shape your opinion, yet many seem to think because it is their opinion it is the only correct answer. Sorry you fail.

wake_rider

Feb 21, 2007
Patman said:
Ya' stepped right in that one. See your slanted opinion of what the confederate memorial day is about proves nobody is without some predjuice and ignorance of race or belief. :laugh: Your opinion is no more valid no matter what situation you, your wife or anybody else happens to experience but those things do shape your opinion, yet many seem to think because it is their opinion it is the only correct answer. Sorry you fail.

You couldn't be more off in some ways and yet you also are correct in some. I have an opinion of Confederate Memorial Day based upon the ideals in which the people fighting for the Confederacy were fighting for. Understandably, not all of the soldiers were in support of the ideals of the Confederacy a number of them had no choice in their participation, this being said, I still back my previous comparison.

I agree that the experiences of each person shape much of their opinions, unfortunately much of what shapes the opinion of many comes less from their experiences and more from the interpretations of others. IE, xenophobic parents raise xenophobic children, dogmatic liberal parents often raise liberally-biased children, so-on and so-forth. :fft:

Now, I don't think that my and my wife's experiences have any more value than the next, nor do I find my own opinion worth any more than yours, both are simply different. Just as I might not understand your situation and experiences, you would not understand mine. Empathy is ideal, but to truly understand anyone other person's position you would have to "live in their shoes," which is in most cases impossible. Empathize, try to learn something from it, and come out a better person.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
It's bigger than what you are thinking, that was just a potential hot button based on the current discussion. Expand your thoughts to a global position instead of just thinking about how bad you believe the confederate states ideals were. I am quite sure based on the example and description you expressed that it is not based on the whole picture but just a piece that is a hot button in your mind. Maybe look even to the middle east and think if the bigots of UAE Dubai and how they view and treat those from Asian & other middle eastern countries that work in their country. Or even how women are treated in many of those coutries. The silly idea that the only bigots are white against black or white against middle eastern is just as small minded as those who hold those thoughts.

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
SMMWest said:
And there we have a bigot.

Any rebel flag tattoos?

You have falsely accused me of being a bigot.

It's obviously because I'm white.

You are a R A C I S T !

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
It's really amusing to watch this thread. :laugh:

(and stir it a bit) :p

Confederate Memorial Day is really no different than Memorial Day or Veterans Day. Heck Memorial Day was actually to honor Union soldiers at first.

The way things are going I'm sure we'll need to homogenize things so as not to offend various parties be they from a north or south state, white, black or someplace in the middle, born citizen or not, Baptist, Buddhist, or Islamic. We SHOULD call it National Losers Day and everybody can get a trophy and some kind of treat (dairy, peanut & gluten free I suppose) and since he's so fast and fits the bill so well maybe Bubba could be the official mascot for this day, as long as he's wearing all his gear all those with rebel flag tatoos won't even know. Besides they will be too busy riding quads with their ball caps on backwards, drinking beer, eating moon pies and looking at sheep in that special way.

Last edited:

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
VintageDirt said:
Gosh, you friggin forgot to mention Jaroslav Falta in your list of injustices.

Sorry, the mental image of RC running so much sag horrified me so much, I could not complete the list.

I suppose that Falta losing a world chamionship by getting taken out by the Russian Army (the same organization that was occupying his homeland) just MIGHT be considered worse than what Bubba has had to endure this week at the hands of Speed TV.

wake_rider

Feb 21, 2007
Patman said:
It's bigger than what you are thinking, that was just a potential hot button based on the current discussion. Expand your thoughts to a global position instead of just thinking about how bad you believe the confederate states ideals were. I am quite sure based on the example and description you expressed that it is not based on the whole picture but just a piece that is a hot button in your mind. Maybe look even to the middle east and think if the bigots of UAE Dubai and how they view and treat those from Asian & other middle eastern countries that work in their country. Or even how women are treated in many of those coutries. The silly idea that the only bigots are white against black or white against middle eastern is just as small minded as those who hold those thoughts.

I can promise you that I understand the larger scale of the issue, I just didn't want to write a novel over it all and thought to keep the focus on more of a micro-level. With that being said, obviously the Civil War was initiated for schisms deeper than the surface issue of pro-slavery vs non, yet again, this isn't the forum for all of that discussion.

You have chosen the "hot topic" out of one minor section of what I said earlier, which was more of a side note than any type of thesis, and decided to harp on that one particular point, yet you've addressed nothing else in which I stated.

I agree with you that the mind of those who look outward towards what they consider to be bigotry are biased as well, but everyone has developed some types of biases. That is not the issue, the issue is whether or not these biases are harmful or strip away the basic human rights of others. There are bigots of every race, social status, religion (atheist included), age, height, place of residence, brand of car or motorcycle, clothing, etc... What I'm saying is that people have a tendency to segregate themselves and try to distinguish those in which they are similar as superior in some way. Just as you stated, it is larger than merely black vs white vs middle-eastern vs asian. The tendency is to magnify the differences from one another as a way to determine superiority in some fashion, while in all reality the entire human race is irrefutably similar. It's the human condition.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I believe I pointed out that quad riders are inferior AND that Bubba is the fastest loser which seems to about cover it. :nod:

Now I could go off on Rich being a poopie head and Pred's love of Bigfoot or even those darn tighty wearin' homos but that would'nt be on topic. :nener:

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Patman said:
I could go off on Rich being a poopie head and Pred's love of Bigfoot or even those darn tighty wearin' homos

You say it like it's a bad thing. :ohmy:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Well it IS when you are a racerist against those types of things like I am.

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Patman said:
Well it IS when you are a racerist against those types of things like I am.

Bigget.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I don't see why my weight needs to be part of this discussion.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom