john3_16

May 17, 2004
Hey guys/girls I need some suggestions from those that have some dual sport experience...I'm getting a new bike and I'm thinking dual sport..It's going to be my commuter bike to work(cheaper to maintain than a car is main reason gas ect..) or wherever but I want to be able to just drive to a cool spot and go offroading when I want....

I've got lots of riding experience riding and racing on and off mx since the 80's...Currently I have an 03' CR250 and an 01'RC51 sportbike that I'm selling...
Here is the problem....It seems like from what I've heard that most of the dual sports available seem too tame...I just don't want to waste money buying a bike that'll be boring and feel like a complete slug on the dirt...But I need something reliable at the same time because I know that sometimes you have to sacrifice performance for reliablity... :(

I hear "motard a CRF 450"...

Then I hear "don't make a mx bike road legal because there's not enough oil capacity for long hauls, and no cush drive for the transmission". :|

So then I'm back to looking at nice, reliable 650cc dual sport offerings from the factory that can't get the front wheel up in first gear... :think:

I need your ideas!

Thanks

MONKEYMOUSE

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2001
What about a KDX? I know they have great power and I know that a bunch of people here on DRN have dual sported them. Check that out as a root. Maby search the "just KDX" fourm here.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
KTM!!!

There is nothing dull about them. Right now their main DS bike is the 950 twin, but since Dakar has outlawed the twins from competition, I bet they start importing the 640 again.

Many dealers have successfully titled the 625 (which is the 640 marketed for off-road) as a DS bike as well.

A friend just rode the Continental Divide Trail from Canada to central New Mexico on a 950. They had some pictures of some pretty knarly trails that they rode on.

I am thinking about a 950 to save on fuel costs.

Shig

~SPONSOR~
Jan 15, 2004
I had a 93 DR 650 and have ridden a few KLR and XR duallies. I have dreams of converting my 04 CRF to a Supermoto when the 06s come out. The CRF would be an incredible dual sport, but I don't know how the tranny would hold up.

My DR was a total pig, but I did get pulled over once for pulling the front wheel up...maybe 4 inches. It was a great touring bike, especially on dirt roads and jeep trails. It's more road oriented than dirt, which made my low-budget US tour very comfortable and economical. The bike was horrible for jumping or serious off roading. It weighed about 370 lbs, making mud bogs a frightful experience without a crane nearby. It got about 50 MPG and went 35,000 miles with no problems.

My father's XR 650 S was a much better off-roader than the DR, but its tank is a little small for touring. Dad sold the XR to get a KLR 650 for adventure touring. He said the bike was perfect for a recent trip from FL to Alaska.

Top Bottom