Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Well now you've hurt my peelings.
Say you're sorry and I won't call you bro anymore.

Maybe if you weren't so critical of your members you'd have more than just the handful or so that post regularly.
Oh cool, then we could be like every other free-for-all on the web. Sweet! When Joe Blow starts posting "fact" we'd like to see the back-up. Without it? It's just more internet blowhard wanting to spread his "knowledge". We'll pass.

RADRick

Registered
May 3, 2005
Okie said:
Well now you've hurt my peelings.
Say you're sorry and I won't call you bro anymore.
Okie, I get the feeling you're really a pretty cool guy to anyone who isn't a motojournalist. :laugh: I'm sure you'd think the same of me if we got to know each other. Maybe, maybe not. I'm gonna stay away for a little while and hopefully we can both get some perspective. If nothing else, maybe we can be respectful to each other and have some fun in here instead of trading shots. I do have some valid insights to share and I enjoy doing so. I didn't label my comments as fact. You, Rich and Ellandoh did. Maybe if we step back a bit we can move forward. I'm willing to try. See ya when I get back from Miami. Have fun and keep it rubber side down till then, bro. :nod:

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
b30774981.jpg

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
FBJ913 said:
i do realize this is going to be a touchy subject but this is the only place i know to post this question.
has anyone riddin with or know a lot about the EVS Web brace? i am torn between the EVS and Asterisk. Any input is welcome... Thanks In Advance

FBJ913.

In answer to your question, I have a riding partner that wears the EVS braces. Compared to my Asterisk braces they seem to be similar. I haven't worn them myself but, comparing the two, they seem to be a little wider than my Asterisks. I had a set of the early EVS braces and didn't like them. They were much wider than the Asterisks and I was not able to grip the bike properly. The new EVS's are much improved.

One thing to keep in mind is after sales service. Braces are something that wear. If you ride a lot you will need to have them repaired or rebuilt. Asterisk has excellent after sales service. Very quick turn-around time. For this alone I would pick the Asterisk brand. My friend doesn't ride enough to wear his EVS braces and has not had to return them for service so, I can't comment on EVS's after sale service but I can guarantee you won't be sorry with the Asterisks.

As far as the need for wearing knee braces, I started riding back when we had no protective gear. We raced in 'T' shirts and jeans with lace-up linemans boots. The open faced Bell helmet was the best available in helmets. Over the years we started wearing leathers and gloves and the helmets became full faced. At Ascot park on the half mile, we would go collect cardboard boxes behind the concession stand and cut them up and stuff them down our leathers. At that time leathers had no padding. If you didn't stuff your leathers with cardboard, you would wind up with large black and blue spots and bruises where you would get peppered with clods and large nuts and bolts that were dug up by the riders in front of you. We also cut bleach bottles in half and hose clamped them to our handlebars to protect our hands from the flying flack. Early style hand guards.

As the riding style changed with MX, so did the safety equipment. Helmets improved, chest protectors were invented, along came elbow guards and knee guards and eventually knee braces. I tried to keep up with the changes in protective gear and always had the latest, bestest stuff.

Over forty years later, I'm still riding. I my own opinion it is because of safety equipment that I am still riding. I have fallen off of a motorcycle just about every way that you can at just about every speed from 5 mph to over 100 mph. When you can do that and get up and brush yourself off and get back into the race, you will thank your protective gear.

I blew out my knee twice before the advent of knee braces. One time I was jumping a wash and wasn't very high in the air. I just landed wrong on my feet and wasted my knee. Since I started wearing knee braces I have fallen from a much higer altitude and landed on my feet without damage to the knees. Wearing the braces has given me much more confidence with jumping. I'm not a big air guy but if I were, there would be no question about wether or not to wear braces.

I also wear them trail riding. We ride everything from tight single track to fast open desert and fireroads. I have found from experience that the knee braces also protect the sides of your legs and your calfs. When I look at all of the scars on my braces and the gashes in the knee cup and sides of the braces, it is easy to see how much they protect your legs not just your knees. Without them I feel ablsolutely nekid.

Knee braces may not be for everyone and if you feel the danger of a broken femur is more important then damage to your knees then, don't wear them.

I strongly recommend knee braces. If you find yourself 15 to 20 feet in the air without your motorcycle, you'll be glad you have them. :nod:

Just my $ .02

Ol'89r

"You can wrap my arse in bubble wrap and call me Bibendum as long as it keeps me riding."

Last edited:

Masterphil

DRN's Resident Lunatic
Aug 3, 2004
Okie said:
Oh cool, then we could be like every other free-for-all on the web. Sweet! When Joe Blow starts posting "fact" we'd like to see the back-up. Without it? It's just more internet blowhard wanting to spread his "knowledge". We'll pass.
:nod: I like it the way it is. If you say something as fact, you better be able to back it up or be humble enough to accept that you were wrong. I've talked out of my ass enough times (and been corrected enough times) that I'm a much more knowledgable person (at least with respect to dirtbikes and such) than if this was a free-for-all (post as much BS as you want) forum.

JKOBD

Jul 10, 2006
Ol'89r said:
FBJ913.
Just my $ .02

Ol'89r

"You can wrap my arse in bubble wrap and call me Bibendum as long as it keeps me riding."

That was worth a lot more than $.02!! Thanks for the feedback and good read.

+30

Aug 2, 2005
OL89'er, love the bleach bottle hand-guards and the cardboard in the pants!! ---- :cool: remember pie plates and masking tape at the registration desk? Still got the open face and Jofa layin around here somewhere.I thought it was so cool untill I saw the other kids stuff... anyhow,, I have used the early evs sx braces which are not this topics intent, but one actually locked up in extended position, one of the hinge pins wedged in the hinge...I bought the webs , but came to grips with the idea that i probably wouldnt strap them on due to the size of the things. I really liked the idea of the brace construction though, possibly able to save the femur? I think after twisting the knee a few times lately (luckily no injury) I may want to reconsider and start shoping for a set. I seem to catch my toe in corners alot it wants to spin the foot around. I wonder how effective a brace is for twisting motions versus side impacts. Btw, Rich if your reading this the coolant article was much appreciated. Good stuff!

Solid State

Mar 9, 2001
Well here goes. After spending the time to read all of this thread thus far, I've learned the following NEW facts:

1. MX-727 said "prophylactic"
2. Rich may own a house cat
3. Vic might be a little 'that way'

and Rad has junk knees.

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Solid State said:
Vic might be a little 'that way'

I've known him all my life. I can assure you, he's not.

:)

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
WOW ! That's what I get for going on vacation; I nearly missed all of this fun! Thanks, Solid State & Vic for bringing it up to the top. KW

RADRick

Registered
May 3, 2005
Solid State said:
Well here goes. After spending the time to read all of this thread thus far, I've learned the following NEW facts:
and Rad has junk knees.
Actually, despite all the surgeries, all I have is some minor arthritis in them. They still work pretty well most of the time. :nod:

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
RADRick said:
Actually, despite all the surgeries, all I have is some minor arthritis in them. They still work pretty well most of the time. :nod:
Enjoy that while you can.

fitter

Aug 31, 2006
I've had the evs braces for almost 2 months now, and here are a few things i've noticed:

they definitely take a while to get use to( as probably any brace does)

i find it harder to hold the bike with my legs because the braces seem to make it slippery through my pants

i've had to tighten every screw in them and loc-tite them(i think the info that comes with them tells you to anyway)

i have a hard time keeping them from sliding down, evs says to put them directly on the leg, but i find it too uncomfortable, so i put my thigh high socks on first

the velco straps do get caught up in my pants all the time

the removable inside liner is great, makes it easier to wash

the second from the top velco strap seems to be a bit short for my stubby legs

the different stops that are supplied for hyper-extension don't seem to make a difference(there are 3 of them-160, 170, and 180 degree)

the hyper-extensions stops are a total pain to install

I've had to re-glue most of the velco pads back on the brace already

Having said all that, these are the first knee braces i've had, and i don't ride without them. I actually just kart-wheeled down a steep 60' hill(involuntarily of course) and smashed my knees many times, and got up and walked away. Not having anything to compare them to, i am very pleased with them, and would probably buy them again(after i wreck these ones)

Top Bottom