Jan 16, 2005
It's been pretty mild here in the land Jersey and I'm going to take a day off this week to head out to Tower City in PA. I'm hoping there isn't much perma frost below the muck. It has been pretty mild last few weeks by comparison, and was wondering if anyone else is getting much ride time in...?

I just need one good fix before taking the bike in for some work. I got a new WER damper and went with the weld on. I'm dyin to try it.

Besides, the girlfriend says I'm getting "twitchy" and probably just need a whole day out on the trails. :blah:

notenuftoys

Sep 3, 2004
It's been so dry and mild in North Texas, there's been lots of time for riding. Just fight through the dust, but that's better than being too muddy to ride.

grump99

Aug 7, 2003
Its good to hear from another Tower City rider! I was up there last friday and had a blast. Lots of mud and no snow at all. My kdx loves that mucky stuff.

Jan 16, 2005
grump, we were up last Thursday. 50'ish sunny and about ten people there. No snow, the puddles (ponds) were plenty, but the only ice I hit was on trail two back by the slate wall. The sun hadn't melted those puddles yet and I went down pretty hard and managed to rack my jewels on the side of the seat. Do you have a campsite? We're all the way up top if you go from the office to the right, past the second day parking lot. I'm watching the forecast for another string of mild days to melt what has probably froze up again.

grump99

Aug 7, 2003
Yeah I fell a couple times on trail 4, not too bad though. I should probably get some new tires since i was sliding all over in the mud. I live near Hershey so we dont have a campsite (nice short drive). I might head up there tomorrow, I have a feeling it will still be pretty muddy. I have a good idea where your campsite is at. I am always amazed at how friendly people are at tctri, maybe we can hook up and ride some time :)

KDX CRAZY

Sep 22, 2005
We are very lucky here in Sunny South Africa as we can ride all year through as it doesnt snow .
Winters do get cold to our standards but probably nothing compared to you guys in the US .

Jan 16, 2005
Yeah the people there are very helpful. Everyone stops to see if you're ok even if you're just taken a break trailside. I'm picking my bike up today, they welded the damper yesterday. I can't wait to try it out. I'm jealous if you're riding today (Fri) Have a good time, we'll definitely try and hook up one day. I do slow to moderate rides when it's my fiance and I, or step it up when it's just my friend and I.

StuckinJersey

May 11, 2005
Riding North Jersey Sunday, supposed to be sunny and in the 40's.
Even took the studs off since there is zero snow right now. Hopefully
the ice stays to a minium.

StuckinJersey

May 11, 2005
Nice. Right down the road in Stockholm, it's about 15 minutes up the power lines from Sparta. There are some great trails in Sparta, I'm going to be right up the power lines from there in Franklin and the Hamburg moutain area to Vernon. If you see a KDX with a Big F on the head light say hi. Enjoy.

grump99

Aug 7, 2003
Hey rubbersidedown, had a blast on friday. I got there about 9 am and the ground was nice and firm (frozen). About 11 or so everything had melted and it got really soupy. Had a real good time sliding all over. Nice bike by the way :)

Jan 16, 2005
Nice grump...I was trying to get a ride together up there yesterday but everyone was busy. Today looks like a good day to grease something on the bike. Or I could finish one of nine different house projects the Mrs. has been silently reminding me of...hmm decisions.

Two weeks ago the top of the "turnpike" at TC, close to the rr tracks was a big sloppy mess. six inches of rutted creamy coal slop. I got my new damper on finally, can't wait to get out and try it.

KDX CRAZY

Sep 22, 2005
Sorry rubbersidedown but I dont have photos of the areas I ride . I will try next time to take a few pics , if I can slow down enough to take them ( he he ) .

StuckinJersey

May 11, 2005
Sunday was too good. Almost zero ice and tons of mud. Rode from 9am till Sundown at 5:15 to only find out my head light must have stopped working somewhere through out the day. So I had a fun lighting speed run in the near dark to get out of the woods before I couldn't see anything. Can't wait till Spring.

Jan 16, 2005
SiJersey...you just gave me a bad flashback of a similiar ride awhile back. I had a headlight, but was way the hell out and had no idea where we were, or how to get back on the trail even. The GPS kept fadin out and it was getting cold and we were tired. I dragged that bike over so many huge boulders and logs and swore If I didn't kill over from a heartattack I was selling the bike the next day (exhaustion talking) Finally some little old guy in a pickup happened upon us just off the trail and got us back on track.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom