Wii, XBOX, PS3.... Which one for kids?

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
I have three kids, mostly this will be for my 7 and 9 year old (boys). They like mario type games and currently have "game boys". I don't want first person shooter type games because I wouldn't let them play those anyway. They have mentioned the Wii and I don't think they know anything about the XBOX or PS3. Truthfully, I don't know anything about any of them.

Which game system do you guys/girls recommend? What are the in's and out's of each? Are there any major pitfalls that I should know about?

Thanks! This will be a Christmas gift.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
after hearing about all of the new systems, and having a PS2, if I were to get my kid one this xmas (that's for you, PK) it would be the Wii.

The Wii seems like more of a "get up off your butt and do something" type of system than the other "park yer butt in an easy chair" type games played on the other systems. I know my kid went to a friend's house a while back and they played the Wii for a couple hours and he came back having worked up a sweat! Plus, he said it was fun, so I guess that's okay.

May 10, 2007
the wii. all the systems are great but the wii is just ingenious. with the whole moving the thingy its pure awesomeness. also wii is the most "kid friendly" i will say. PS3 and Xbox 360 all have "kid friendly games" but not as many as the wii. the other too have a lot of FPS games with a lot of blood/gore ETC.

PS you do know the date right. x-mas is still awhile off (

allthingsdirt

Jun 6, 2007
I currently own a wii and a 360. The 360 gets the majority of the playtime right now mainly because there don't seem to be an abundance of adult oriented games for the wii.

Also don't think because you have a wii that the kids are going to be getting a great workout with it all the time. Only a fraction of the games require you to actually get off yer butt and move around, the rest you can do from just sitting on the couch.

That being said, there are some promising looking titles coming out for the wii in the next little while, Super Mario Galaxy and Mario Kart to name a couple.

One more very important point to consider. Atv vs. Mx untamed will be released on Dec. 17 across all platforms but the superior graphics and online play will go to the 360 and PS3.

Good luck with your decision.

JD_MXRacer

Nov 27, 2006
i own a 360 and wii. my friend owns the ps3 so i know the ins and outs of all.

360- my personal favorite. the most fun to play in my opinion. lots of games. great graphics. no cons i can think of.

ps3- great graphics. many good features. for the 7-9 year olds maybe a little too advanced with the menu and most of the ps3's potential wont be used by them. for being the most expensive its not worth it.

wii- PERFECT FOR YOUR SITUATION. the wii is very fun to play. especially for that age group. the menu and everything is easy to navigate. there are many good titles coming out for it. not only is it good for kids but very fun for adults when you have a lot of people over. it also comes with one of the most fun games for it right now, wii sports.

mkelly04

Jul 27, 2007
I would recommend the wii.

The wii is a great console for all age groups. Everyone from 5-90 can play and has a great time.

The wii also seems to be more of a social console as well. With the 360 or ps3 it seems that 1 or 2 people play at a time. With the wii most games include the whole family.

Offroadr

Ready to bang some trees!
Jan 4, 2000
WII!!! Its interactive and fun. My 4 and 6yo love to bowl!

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
My son has a PS2 and just picked up a 360. He's made noise about a Wii but he doen't have time for half the stuff he does now anyway. The 360 is a more older crowd system with lots of games but a majority are the shoot 'em games you want to avoid. The Nintendo systems have always seemed to have better coverage for the younger players, my son had a N64 as his first system because grandpa deemed it most kid friendly. From what I have seen and hear from friends and coworkers the Wii is fun but limited in selection. They also say it's more fun with a group than individual. Take them to Best Buy or Fry's and let them play them all :)

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
PS3 can play blueray movies, that's a plus.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
The PS3 is way too expensive and the Wii is hard to find. Kids don't care as long as they get to play thier games. If yours do care, ask them.

Mar 16, 2007
nintendo makes the wii, nintendo has always been geared towards the younger kids. and the majority of thier games are also geared toward the younger kids. p23 and xbox360 are aimed more at teens and adults. I would reccomend the wii for them. Just do a search on games availalbe for wii, and games available for ps3 and you will see what I mean. The games have a rating now to let you know if its ok for kids or teens or what

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
WOW, You guys are the best. I told my wife that since I really don't know anything about these game systems, I know a bunch of people who do. As always, the DRN gang does not dissapoint. It looks like the Wii will work well for my kids. Now all I have to do is go and find one.

Where can I get the best deal on one?

allthingsdirt

Jun 6, 2007
truespode said:
Better question is where can you find one?

I have heard they sell out really quick.

Ivan

Call around to your local wal-marts. It took a while, but thats how I found mine.

Don't forget to buy at least one extra controller and nunchuk attachment. :cool:

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
They are really hard to find! Looks like Nintendo has increased demand by severely limiting supply. :(

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
I'm startin'!

JD_MXRacer

Nov 27, 2006
the only downside to the wii is the controller price. theyre more than the 360! for the controller its like $30 or $40 and the nunchuck is $20.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Costco just got a shipment in of the Wii bundles! Wife is on the way. Maybe we get one. Fingers crossed....

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Wii in hand. Thanks guys.

xShady13x

Nov 9, 2007
the wii is the best for kids. Has all the mario type games you were talking about and the best selection of non-shooters. Mario games and other origional nintindo games are only made for wii. The only upside to xbox 360 and ps3 is the online gameplay is better. If you dont want your kids playing shooters i doubt you would want them to hear half of the stuff said online anyway. I personaly have a xbox 360 and love it, but it doesnt sound like what your looking for =)

Top Bottom