pace

Nov 21, 2003
'04 CR250, '01 & '02 KX250 are recent bikes that come to mind which completely underwhelmed me.

I owned an old (mid-'70s) Bultaco Pursang 250 back in the '80s. It seemed slow back then, and would probably get smoked by most 125s now. :laugh:

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
rod, they may not have all run the same. If yours runs good, then enjoy it! any 250 has plenty of power anyway, when it comes right down to it.

rodH

Aug 17, 2005
motometal said:
rod, they may not have all run the same. If yours runs good, then enjoy it! any 250 has plenty of power anyway, when it comes right down to it.

true, It seems to be plenty of power for me, it just sux to have a bike that may have been the "Worst 250 motor ever" :(

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
rodH said:
true, It seems to be plenty of power for me, it just sux to have a bike that may have been the "Worst 250 motor ever" :(
evrybody has opinions, lots of people dont like late model cr's i love em and never feel underpowered against anyone, including against friends 450s, rode a buddies late model rm and felt it was twitchy 1/16th throttle and it was wheelying but beyond that it had no more, some people call that throttle response i guess, i call it uncontrollable or a light switch . it felt like a really sweet 125 ..........people rave over the late rm, to each his own

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
The 98 RM 250 was the dog. The 97 ran ok.

If you noticed the McGrath book, the guy was a bit self-centered. A complete a-hole for the most part.

"After Jimmy (Button) was hurt, I made a few of his house payments..until he got ion his feet again.""

Wow, the last of the big spenders. Did Jimmy ever get on his feet? He was damn near paralized.

Jeremy would have never blamed himself for poor performance. The bike got all of the blame as did team Suzuki.

mxer842

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2003
Rcannon said:
The 98 RM 250 was the dog. The 97 ran ok.

If you noticed the McGrath book, the guy was a bit self-centered. A complete a-hole for the most part.

"After Jimmy (Button) was hurt, I made a few of his house payments..until he got ion his feet again.""

Wow, the last of the big spenders. Did Jimmy ever get on his feet? He was damn near paralized.

Jeremy would have never blamed himself for poor performance. The bike got all of the blame as did team Suzuki.

Got something on your mind rcannon?

john stu

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 7, 2002
WhiskythrottleKeit said:
Ohh god someone said the 04 CR250 was a dud... Yeah i just rode a 04 CR250 today that has a total of 5 hours on the bike and it was the slowest 250 i have ever rode. theres no bottom no mid and it does rev but yet still no power up stairs. I dont know why honda let them roll out of japan. I think i have rode faster 125s no kiding. My brother had a old 83 YZ250 that would walk all over that 04 CR. No joke that 83 had better bottom mid and top.. WOW im still shocked on how bad that bike is. I was happy to jump back on my 01 YZ250

my 02 cr250 was a dud SLOW HARD TO RIDE i even had it ported buy eric much better but my buddy 97cr250 would walk all over it .....and the 97 even ran better

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
Peer Lovell said:
I have a '98 and the bike is fast as hell under any conditions.

the '98 was my all-time favorite engine.

i now have an '02. i agree that it is hard to ride--for most people. it has what i consider a race engine. if you want to putt around the trails, get something else. on the track, this thing rips. i'm very pleased with it.

john3_16

May 17, 2004
mx547 said:
the '98 was my all-time favorite engine.

i now have an '02. i agree that it is hard to ride--for most people. it has what i consider a race engine. if you want to putt around the trails, get something else. on the track, this thing rips. i'm very pleased with it.

I agree....The late model CR's are anything but slow...The motor is upper mid and top heavy so it suits an agressive riding style....The CR is amoung the fastest and has the HP figures to prove it...Unfortunately most people are unable to ride it like it needs to be ridden....
If you like to ride casually and let off the gas between shifts it'll feel slow because you're riding around too low in the RPM....Hold the throttle open and reving it out produces different results....

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
havent ridden a bike yet that makes me even remotely think " i should have got one of those instead of mine"

another 03 cr250 satisfied customer here :nod:

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
Moto hit the nail on the head. My 02 CR was one of my least favorites until I switched carbs, then it really woke up.

My 01 CR250 once jetted correctly, had almost a perfect spread of power putting boht the 01 and my 97 at the tops of my fav 250 engines.

Worst for me? My 91 KX was pretty much a pooch. It ran ok, but never did hook up for starts very well and more than once bikes 7-9 years older could flat outpull it on long straights. Hey the bike looked cool though...

Tops in the dogturd pile though would have to be the 92 RM250. No low, no top...just a bubble of 40-someodd HP all at once then gone as quickly as it arrived.

MensaTech

May 17, 2006
04 Cr250

Well I have had my 2004 CR for almost a year now and it's mainly stock except a high compression base gasket and boyseen carbon reeds. The thing screams, and with more compression it really helped the low to mid transfer. I think the 04 has gotten a bad rap because of poor stock jetting, oh well to each his own :)

IZ 250

Apr 30, 2006
My 1985 it 250 non powervalved motor runs strong. Ive beaten a 2002 yz 250 that was runnin strong with it. It is also aircooled. Also wat does lightswitch power mean?

TimberPig

Jan 19, 2006
IZ 250 said:
My 1985 it 250 non powervalved motor runs strong. Ive beaten a 2002 yz 250 that was runnin strong with it. It is also aircooled. Also wat does lightswitch power mean?

Lightswitch power means the powerband is narrow, and hits like turning on a lightswitch, and then falls off the powerband again like turning off a lightswitch.

miles11we

Mi. Trail Riders
Oct 15, 2006
quote: out of all the bikes I had owned, and ridden, I would say the 2004 CR250 is the worst 250 motor, but I never really drove anything older then a 1998.

yeah they didnt have the ports right in the cylinder, and the carb was really hard to jet, i've seen people spend tons of money triing to get that bike running good. lots of racers used previous years, cause they were faster

nick novice

Feb 15, 2005
i know it's not a 250, buti think i have you all beat. my friend had a cagiva deal in '88 and he talked me in to a nearly new wmx 125. that thing melted pistons like candles until somebody realized you needed to lengthen the expansion chamber. too bad i had already gone broke and got out of bikes for two years to recover. to the guy who thought any 250 w/o a powervalve was poop. try something smaller. much worse. it sucked being 17 and the size of an 80 rider. i was scared of 250s, so i clutched the tar out of 125s for a number of years. i read in here about dudes running atf in their trans. i was smoking plates blue from all of the heat. i was also a gay hare scrambles racer and a somewhat pathetic one at that. now i love the 250-2s and the 450-4s. i recently rode a '01 kx125 and it still felt an 80 big wheel. no thanks. i'd take a somewhat crappy 250 over a 125 any day.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
What's wrong with hare scrambles? I was just going to try to start racing those.

A 2-stroke without a powervalve can make just as much horsepower as a 2-stroke with. A power valve just lets the manufacturer run two different port configurations to allow the bike to have a strong mid-range without sacrificing top end.

nick novice

Feb 15, 2005
76GMC1500 said:
What's wrong with hare scrambles? I was just going to try to start racing those.

A 2-stroke without a powervalve can make just as much horsepower as a 2-stroke with. A power valve just lets the manufacturer run two different port configurations to allow the bike to have a strong mid-range without sacrificing top end.

of course it does. but no powervalve is like a birthday cake with no icing or ice cream. you're losing power somewhere within the band. in my experience, the smaller the bike the more it sucks. at least a 250 has a little torque. hare scrambles are fine. but i've never met a kid that grew up on scrambles that didn't wish they'd been a motocrosser.

john stu

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 7, 2002
ruffryder19 said:
out of all the bikes I had owned, and ridden, I would say the 2004 CR250 is the worst 250 motor, but I never really drove anything older then a 1998.

ha i guess you never rode the 2002 cr250 it was slower than a :ride:

Top Bottom