bully_23

Apr 22, 2005
I was looking at an 02 yzf today and I had a ride it was awsum but it took about half hour to get it started with the compression thing now I know i can fix that but how much would it cost to install that part. and with this done would this bike still not be good enough to hang with the newer 05-06 models would you suggest this bike or a later model but I wont have enough money to buy any higher than an 03 and most of the 03's around here are to expensive anyway. also can you outline the maintenance schedule that would have to be done and how often. Do you think that this bike would be good for someone who wants to start learning motocross or should I get a 2 strk 125 what is easier to ride and maintain and what are the expenses of maintaining
Thanks a heap BuLlY

natha

Jul 30, 2004
I had yz 125 2001 and ktm sx 125 2004 and now i own yz 250F 2005 and i must say the 4stroke is much more reliable but only the yamahas. Other brand like suzuki, kawa or honda have some major valves issues, and additionaly 2004 kawi's and suzuki's overheat easily.
So my input is go for yamaha yz 250F but at least the 2003 with auto decompression cam - very easy to start and don't stall at all. The key to keep its alive and in good working condition is frequently oil and filter change /every 5-7 tank of gas is enough for amateur/ and cleaning the air filter every 2-3 ride in normal conditon and every ride when there's sandy condition. Following this maintance you'll enjoy your ride for very long time.
One more thing the cam chain adjust must be chceck out every 30 hours of ride, it goes out of specs faster with amateur ride but it's extremely cheap /like 50 bucks at most/.
that's my 0.2 cent.

jvfish

Dec 1, 2001
the 2002 is difficult to start. The auto compression release added in 2003 made it much easier. The new 250F's are faster, yes. But unless you are racing pro class, it probably does not matter.

njkx

Apr 13, 2004
buying any 02 motocross bike is a crap shoot. unless you know exactly what the previous owner did maintanence wise. I would almost always assume that an 02 would need some top end work. If you are comfortable working on a 4 stroke than no problem. If not it could be a several hundred dollar proposition.

sinner 04

Sep 12, 2005
Depends if you like 2 or 4 stoke. If your a beginner then you'd probably like the lugging ability of the 4 stroke. You'll use the clutch more on the 125 and have to keep it rev'd out. See if you can ride each on a track if thats it's intended use and see which you perfer.

Top Bottom