knobbiethrower

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2000
Noticed that some oil / coolant ? is coming from hole below waterpump housing . Does this mean what I think it does ?! Can anyone that has already experienced this help out? What needs to be replaced and what else should I checkout while I'm doing this.Part numbers would help.Thanks in advance for the help!!! :think:

dstktmusa

Jan 5, 2001
replace both o-rings around the seal carrier #0770.020220 and both camshaft seals # 0760.101842. Check both cam bearings while your in there # 0625.062014 if they have more than 45 hours on them I would replace them. KTM sent a tech bulletin regarding NOT using the "grey bond" or "honda bond" type sealents for the rocker cover, instead use the Locktite 515 gasket eliminator. Remember to bleed the cooling system using the bleed screw located by the spark plug hole. Check the decompression stop bolt/nut # 0984.080103 to make sure it has not worked loose (another tech bulletin). Also you will need to split the camchain to remove the cam (for bearing removal) and you must purchase chain link # 590.36.013.050 to re-install.

mxbundy

Sponsoring Member
Feb 16, 2001
Hemet, CA.
Okay,

I am a new 400SX owner, bike only has 4 hours total on it. 2 trips to break it in and 1 Grand Prix this weekend.
After the race I too noticed some wetness aroud this hole. I didnt think much about it because of a stupid mistake that I made when changing the oil. I fired it up to check for leaks and forgot to put the oil filler cap back on. Well there was a guieser of oil squirting out of there and it got all over in the few seconds that it took for me to get it shut down. So I thought that the wetness was from that.
But now I understand that there is a problem asscociated with this.
Can you guys explain, this is my first RFS and I have a lot to learn.

thanks
mxbundy

knobbiethrower

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2000
Thanks for the info ! Can someone with basic mechanic skills do this ? ( I'm a 2 - stroke guy ! ) Or should this be done by dealer?

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
Bundy, I get about an 1 1/2" stream (droplet line) out of the weap hole nearly every ride, and have for a few months. I have the parts ready to go to replace the seals, Including Loctite 515, but it has never gotten worse. I don't know what to think.

Shaw520

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 14, 2000
I too have gotten a small amount of wetness from the weep holes, on both of my 520's. Since I have lowered the coolant level to about 1" below the neck, they dont leak anymore. Maybe a little more room for expansion is the key. <shrugging shoulders>
I have never replaced seals on either one.

So Bundy, How bout a ride report, my 400SX will not be here till mid may :( , so I'm pulling hair out wondering if I shoulda got a EXC instead. Hows the power delivery, hows the seat/tank combo, (some guys say it TOO thin). How do you like the close ratio transmission?

Last edited:

mxbundy

Sponsoring Member
Feb 16, 2001
Hemet, CA.
Here is the skinny,
I think the bike is great. I like the power delivery, but maybe could use a little more. gonna try the Big Gun Lafferty pipe. It should be good for a couple, maybe three horsepower. I only say this because the GP this weekend was deep-deep sand. 8 miles and choppy like crazy. I would like a little more snap to get the front end up in the sand. I am gonna try a 13 tooth front sprocket or maybe a 52 rear and see if that will pep it up a tad. With my toneage it was a little reluctant in 6th gear also, so I dont think I will lose any top speed by the change because it will pull 6th cleaner. As far as the gear ratios, I like the close ratio gear box, I have had an RMX and a 300EXC in the past and I hated the wide ratio gear boxes. I was born and raised on the mx boxes.
I like the seat/tank combo, but unfortunatly I need a big tank. I only went 32 miles at the gp, and it was on fumes.
Had a small problem which cost me a lot of places, the gear shifter almost fell off and I was stuck in 5th gear, finally had to stop and tighten it. :| I even used locktite on it and it still happened.
But I was in the intermediate class and I feel the bike was competitive. Had a good race for almost the last lap witha guy on a 650R and we were back and forth. If I would have had the 13th sprocket, i think it would have been in my favor. He had a little better pick up than me, but i could out brake him at will.
Speaking of brakes, the front one is scarry strong, even witha slightly softer feel at the lever, it will lock up the wheel any time you get ham fisted. :scream: had a couple of scarry moments with that.
The suspension was awesome, so hats off to Pro-Action. Was just right, perfect when I was fresh and charging, alittle firm when I got tired. but that is the way i want it. It will push me to go faster.
I did get some headshake and just a general all around " BUSY " feeling from the front end. Pro -action guys says to soften up the rebound on the forks to let them extend faster. He said that will take a lot of that away.
but i may need a steering damper. especially for races as fast as this one was.

well gotta go to work.
bundy

Last edited:

rollingp

Oct 31, 2001
Check to make sure your radiators cooling fins are not blocked by dried mud.
Saw a bike doing the same thing Sunday and over 1/4 of the rads were packed with mud from previouse rides.The bike stopped leaking out of the weep hole after the rads were cleared. ( running hot)

cphillips

Feb 25, 2001
My 400SX starting leaking out of the weep hole just after I put some water wetter in which raised the coolant level. (I was going to lower to the correct level but my ride to the track showed up and I forgot, opps) SO, tonight I lowered the level about 1" and am hoping that solves the problem. We'll see.

Top Bottom