lwsmithjr

~SPONSOR~
Sep 18, 2002
I bought a used '01 YZ125 that already had an FMF SST pipe and shorty silencer. I had a older Dirt Rider magazine that just so happened to have the recommended mods for all of the '01 2 strokes. For this bike, Dirt Rider said the Fatty offered a meatier mid and more over-rev than the SST. This was after they named the SST Product of the Year.

Being this was the first year of the big carb, the useable powerband is not as wide as the 2000, (or the '02 or '03). My experience is that while not as easy to ride as the '00 (with a Fatty), the '01 pulls longer and hits harder (with an SST). My question is, does anyone have any experience with these two pipes on the '01. If I can keep the power I've got, and get more bottom with the Fatty, it seems like a no-brainer. My concern is that it seems in most other instances, the SST is the better pipe. This bike is MX only so I'm not worried about low end for tight stuff. What I would like is to make it as easy to ride as the '00 with the power afforded by the big carb. (Have my cake and eat it too?) Anybody tried 'em both?

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom