02 400 exc shock tuning, revalve advice?

dirk rider

Oct 5, 2001
'02 400 EXC Shock

Stock spring is supposed to be PDS6 although there were/are absolutely no markings on the spring. It seemed to me like I used up all the soft portion of the spring just sitting on the bike. Also, it seemed like there was an abrupt transition between the soft and stiff portions of the spring. Therefore I put on a 8.0 straight rate Eibach. Rear end now sits up higher when I am on the bike and seems to help it turn better and perhaps there is more "usable" rear travel. All-in-all a "modest" improvement.

My usual setting is to back off the shock rebound adjustment to the point where the rear end handles braking bumps without packing or hoppin, about 25 clicks out. The consequence of this is that the back end seems to pogo somewhat in g-outs, bermed turns, etc. Therefore it would seem like not enough low-speed rebound? Also it really "springs" me off of jumps (this seems to be OK since I know its coming).

I have also noticed that the landings from "big" jumps (well big jumps for me anyway) seem to be soft as a pillow. By far the best bike I have ever had in this respect (Is this due to the 4 stroke weight?). Therefore it would seem that low-speed compression is OK.

As far as high-speed compression damping my best guess is that I need less, this could be part of what I perceive as a "packing" or "hopping" problem. If I back off the compression adjuster too far, the rear of the bike rides to low in corners and the bike does not turn as well. I usually have it set at about 20 clicks out and the rear of the bike "rides" lower than what I would like.

I want to get the shock re-valved. My current opinion is that I need more progressive rebound, less high speed and more low speed. Low speed compression is OK and I need less high speed compression.

What if feels like to me…..I could be wrong…..

What are the other opinions out there?

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom