bluefin

Nov 18, 2001
I have 3 rides on my 02 520exc, the electric start button works sometimes but not all the time. I checked out the battery, terminals are good, relay in the air box checks out, followed the wiring up to the switch. I believe its the switch but not too shure thats the problem. Anyone had this problem ?
Thanks
Jay

B

biglou

Jay-If you have access to a multimeter, here's what to do: Find the first connector that the start button wires run to and disconnect it. Next, find a way to attach the two leads of the multimeter to the two wires in the start button circuit (This may require a little ingenuity, but it can be done). Then, set the meter to "Ohms" (upsidedown horseshoe symbol) and set it on the tank or seat where you can see the display. Finally, push the start button and see if the meter goes from "Open" (infinite resistance/ohms) to "Closed" (zero resistance/ohms). If it does, push hard on the button and move it around while pushed to see if the connection in intermittant. This will tell you if your push-button is faulty or not. You should have a steady "Zero ohms" reading when the button is depressed. If the meter reading jumps around at all, you have a contact problem within the switch. Good luck.

ml36

Aug 27, 2001
before you go through all that trouble, double check that the ground wire that is connected to the subframe under the seat is tight. when my 520 was new i had the same problem you are describing and i found that the ground had barely come loose. i only tightened it a half a turn and it fixed the problem. if you ask how i figured this out, i just happened to hit the button while i had the seat off, and i saw the ground wire arc to the subframe. also make sure that there is no corrosion present.

later

BCR-Bob

Sponsoring Member
Mar 8, 2001
Next time the starter won't engage, try flicking the kill button with your thumb a couple times and then try it. Mine had the exact same problem and the bad connection was in the kill button, not the start button. The starter will not engage if the kill button is depressed.

Unit74

Dec 16, 2001
Ground wire Mine went loose on the second ride. It would click some times but I thought it was fried. LockTite...RFS' best friend!

OLD STROKER

Feb 19, 2001
I've repaired 2 bikes with this problem and both times I found dirt around the edges of the kill button which made it compress slightly. A previous post said flick the kill button a few times, this probably will work , but the best think to do is take it apart and clean it. If this doesn't work, follow the other prosedures that have been posted.
As for milquetoast comment that he's heard that the button assembly is a common problem on RFS's, Iv'e read 1000's of post on Holeshot (KTM site) and have never heard anybody bring up the subject. Perhaps he could post a few LINKS on where he saw this. But, don't hold your breath!

Last edited:

motodude

Oct 3, 2000
My friend had the same problem with his 400, turns out the dealer installed the battery backwards and the terminals were coming loose from hitting the seat. Check your owners manual, there is a pic of the battery with the terminals pointing down towards the fender.

Top Bottom