02 CR and CRF owner- very important!!

mxfonzeeboy

Dec 19, 2001
If you own an 02 CR or CRF you might want to check your rear axle nut. I had mine sieze up this weekend and it ruined the axle nut, bolt and chain tightener block. I had the nut torqued to spec, but it still pulled the threads out of the nut. I am going to use anti-sieze as soon as I get my new bolt, nut and tightener block. I also have a friend with an 02 CRF 450 that almost had the same problem. Luckily he caught his in time before any permanent damage was done.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Sounds like a maintenance issue.

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
Don't feel bad, I just stripped out the nut on my suspension linkage bolt while using a torque wrench!

I know torque wrenches are "the right" way to do it. Maybe my wrench is off or the numbers in the book are off.

I had no problems the first 20 years of my wrenching life just using ratchets, common sense, and locktite. I personally think the torque wrench is more trouble than it's worth for most applications. I still plan to use it for cylinder heads and tripple clamps.

CanadianRidr

Sponsoring Member
Oct 22, 2001
Moto I never ever used a torque wrench but when I decided to send my suspension away I decided to bite the bullet and by a VERY expensive torque wrench. Well needless to say I smooshed some bolts and ruined an axle, I learnt my lesson but I guess the rule is live and learn :thumb:

mxfonzeeboy

Dec 19, 2001
"Sounds like a maintenance issue."

I do ride my bike hard, but I do all necessary mainenance to it. So when a guy buys a new CRF 450, rides it a maximum of 10 easy rides and washes it after every ride I find it hard to believe that it is a maintenance issue!

los36

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
I have a freind who just picked up his 03 CR250. While in the process of regreasing all of the bearings, he snapped a linkage bolt and the brake pedal bolt. At first, I though it was his torque wrench or just his ignorance, but it sounds like Honda's torque specs are just way off.

slideways11

Sponsoring Member
Apr 18, 2000
The reason you are stripping your bolts is that you are using a dry torque value on a bolt that you have gotten grease on.For example a 5/16-18 that would dry torque to 29ft/lbs would only torque to 16ft/lbs if you applied white grease to the threads.

Humai

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2000
I had a similar experience with the WR250F - some of the torque figures stated in the manual - for example, the front engine mount bolts - were just plain wrong.

Use a torque wrench but never switch off the "common-sense-what-feels-right-for-this-bolt-diameter-ometer".

Zero

~SPONSOR~
Oct 15, 1999
Before I ever rode my CR250 I stripped one of the linkage nuts when taking it off! On my previous 00 CR250 I stripped one the linkage nuts as well putting it on using -5 lbs of what the torque table said.

Personally I think those builtin lock washer things can sometimes funk up the threads and cause some of these issues regardless of how anal we are about proper upkeep.

And I agree the torque values are out of whack, they should be used as guidelines. Calibrate your hand/arm and call it good. I never torque my rear axle nut. Its all by feel.

Top Bottom