Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
OK, after reading Cd tips on jettting, and looking up the parts list in buykawasaki.com. I have gathered this..... I should be running a 42 pilot jet, a 142 or a 145 main jet, and the r1173l needle in the 2nd from the top.

Looking the carb parts up  on kawasaki's website, it says it should have with a 42 pilot, r1173l needle, and a 145 main jet.

My question is, has anyone verfiied this, as far as what jets come stock? It theory, I should be able to drop the needle down to the 2nd to last position, and have a good baseline to start from....  I'll prolly end up dropping to a 142 main....

What has been everyone's experience jetting a stock 220 ?

kevin c.

Jan 28, 2003
My 03 220 had a 145 main and a 42 pilot in it when I opened it up and I was the first owner so it came like that. I dont know if the dealer did anything to it or not, I would guess not but do not know.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
You could benefit from a lupe or a bit of magnifier sometimes when looking for jet numbers. Sometimes the stamp is light..sometimes real light on one side. An '8' may look a lot like a '6'.

BTW, needle clip #s are from the top 1-5; One being most lean (needle extending the most), five being most rich (needle extending the least).

Be careful tightening the main. It's not hard to twist it right off. Much less hard to slightly fracture it which may well lead to all sorts of grief.

Check the float height when you're in there. Setting it a tad low (+1mm over the oem 16mm spec) will help the kdx pee issue when sitting on slight angles.

Humai

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2000
Originally posted by Zerotact
What has been everyone's experience jetting a stock 220 ?

I bought a new 220 in '98 which came with a 42P, 145M and a #5 slide. Can't remember the needle but it was probably an r1173l.

The bike really needed a #6 slide to clean up the just-off-idle richness. Otherwise it was pretty close stock. Mine had an FMF Burly and TC2 fitted.

fxmatt

Mar 22, 2002
The previous owner of my 1999 220 R had a #140 Main, 42pilot, R1173 needle (clip in 3rd position). I'm running a ProCircuit pipe w/ a FMF silencer and replaced my reeds w Boysen stock replacements. Right now (it's been a cool / wet spring in central New York) I've found my bike runs great with a #150 main, 42p, and R1173 needle (3rd pos), always lean to the RICH side. I'm running Mobile synthetic oil @ 32:1 with SUNOCO 94.

dougjc

Mar 23, 2003
My 03 220 was delivered with a 145 main and 42 pilot. I recently raised the needle to the 2nd position and installed a 142 main jet. Its better than stock (way to rich), but I still need to test some more.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
It's confusing to some when needle clip position is discussed along the line of 'recently raised the needle to the 2nd position'.

That would be true if you STARTED from the #1 position. THEN you could raise the needle to #2.

But if you went from #3 to #2 clip position, you lowered the needle by raising the clip position. The overall effect being a more lean A/F mix.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom