Bobt250

Jan 21, 2002
My friend just bought an 03 250 EXC because I've been telling him how much I like my 300 EXC. He is a lot lighter than me so he figured a 250 would be fine and he found a good deal on a like new 250.

He tells me that it has no low end power. He also says that he heard the hot tip is to install an ignition module from an SX model saying it has something to do with timing. Maybe that's all hooey. The power valve "seems" to be working in that when you ride it you can hear the exhaust get louder at the same time it gets a surge in power. I know that's not definitive but you know what I mean.

Anyway, the question is:

What's up with an '03 250 EXC? Are there known issues with low end power and if so what is the hot tip for fixing it?

Thanks in advance

Lorin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 25, 1999
Although I am no expert with KTM's, I feel that the ktm 250 exc's generally have a fairly mild bottom end. I found it kind of odd for a bike that is sold toward the enduro market. I can see why it would track well in a wet, or slimy condition, but would (personally) want more torque, etc. The 300 is more what I would expect from an enduro machine.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
'Mild' bottom end is a good description for the 250 exc I've ridden. My personal preference is for the 250 over the 300, but at low rpm you certainly won't confuse the 250 for a big bore.

IMO the 250 is less tiring to ride than the 300, which is a big part of its appeal as a racer and trail bike. The 250 rips when you ride it aggressively, but it has 'enough' low end to slog through the technical stuff.

Bobt250

Jan 21, 2002
We're going to have to look into the PV. So far we tried playing with the external adjuster. We noticed that when it's turned "out" all the way it runs really bad in the lower RPM's. With it turned all the way "in" it is much better but he still says it's bad. I haven't ridden it myself yet, I'm just repeating what he says. I was helping him in the garage but didn't get to go on the ride.

He also says that his buddy's 200 has more low end torque than his 250. Is that normal?

Top Bottom