03 KDX220 Hard To Start

Bman007

Jan 25, 2004
Hey, a friend and I bought 2 new 03 KDX220's we both have found that it takes 30 to 40 kicks to start. Mind you it's cold in Ontario but still. Once the bike is warm it starts on the 1-2 kick. Any ideas. Were running 40:1 ratio.

Also after 2 rides and maybe 1hr on the bike I noticed a blue oily liquid drip behind the coolant pump. It only dripped once each time. Any ideas.

Thanks

Braahp

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2001
Its REAL cold in Ontario. I dunno how you guys live in that stuff. You don't have a problem. My bike is harder to start in cold too. If it starts after warm you are ok. Try leaning bike over before you try starting until gas comes out of overflow. This should get gas into carb and help the starting.

hog

Nov 13, 2001

My 04 kdx220 was the same way when I got in home last week and out of the truck. I put in a tank of premium with castrol TTS at 32:1. Now it starts fine. Temperature is in the 30's.

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
Only time my bike is hard to start is after a big LOOP-OUT or that time I nailed that big TREE

Cold temps have not had any effect on my bike starting as of yet, usually 2 - 3 kicks at the most

30 - 40 kicks?

:eek:

farmerj

Dec 27, 2002
we both have found that it takes 30 to 40 kicks to start

Well, let's keep at this topic. I have an '01 200 and find the same problem, but it's not an issue of temperature - but length of time since last "fire-up". If my bike sits for 2-3 weeks, it is annoyingly hard to start. Once it starts, it's 1-2 kicks every time after that - and fine the next day. Whassup??

Jeff

FLBob

Jun 4, 2001
My 97 KDX 220 was hard to start after sitting for a day or more-Florida cold doesn't seem to affect it. Leaning it over until the bars hit the ground, with the gas on, for a count of five, fixed it. Usually 1 to 3 kicks with that procedure. If it starts needing more kicks, it means the plug is getting dirty. Fresh plug and it's back to 1 to 3.

Always one kick if it hasn't been sitting for a long time.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
How cold was it, if it's below freezing they can be hard to start. If It starts OK after it's warm and the jetting seems OK, I'd wait till it gets above 50 F or so, start it get it warm, let it cool down a few hours and then try it! Unless you have acess to a heated garage to speed up the wait till spring issue.

cicone

Sep 29, 2003
my 200 usually starts on the second kick---even at 30 degrees. just how cold is it up there??

C

CaNaDiAn,Eh?

cicone said:
my 200 usually starts on the second kick---even at 30 degrees. just how cold is it up there??

It's pretty cold..lol. A while ago it was very close to - 50 degrees celsius, but the weather is defanitely improving...its nice out now!

My KDX has never taken that many kicks to start, even when its sat for quite a while in the cold. I used to have an old XR that if it sat for 2 days or more even in hot weather it took at least 80 kicks to start...it was brutal :ugg:

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
CaNaDiAn said:
It's pretty cold..lol. A while ago it was very close to - 50 degrees celsius, but the weather is defanitely improving...its nice out now!

The question was, how cold it when he was having starting problems. I agree that 30 d F is not very cold (sorry to y'all from south of the Mason-Dixon :) ) but did you ever try starting a motorcycle at 0 F or - 20 F? It is not good for the right leg! :)

So, how cold was it? :)

MUDMAX

Jan 7, 2003
Try this: open the gas valve on the tank and let it stand for at least 5 minutes....
Mine is really easier to start thi way, and I live that f*$@^&* cold weather too here in Quebec.

Looks like the carb takes a while to fill up with new gas......

Bman007

Jan 25, 2004
We are now having temps around 0 or -3 but 2 weeks ago it was -25...now thats hard core riding!!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…