03 KTM SX 125 break in procedure

91KDX

Jan 23, 2003
Howdy,
My buddy just got an 03 KTM SX 125 wednesday. He doesn't have much seat time in the bike yet. He came out to my house today ready to ride, and I asked him if he had broken in his bike yet. My buddy is fairly new to riding and bikes, so he didn't know you had to break the bike in. He got a manual from the dealership he bought the bike from, but its for a SX 250. I didn't think that would matter much, but the only problem is, is that he left the manual at home, and he is a long ways away from home. So I was wondering if somebody could give me the break in proceedure step by step, so we can go through it tomorrow. I hope there isn't any damage done to it yet, its only been ridden maybe a maximum of 3 hours so far. Any help would be appreciated.Thanks

Ben

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
If he's already got 3 hours on it then I wouldn't worry about the "break in" procedure. Normally the break in is running the bike through a few heat up / cool down cycles. Start the bike and keep the rpm's down for about 10 minutes or so then let it cool completely down for about an hour. After that, do the same for about 20 minutes but it's safe to rev a little higher. Let cool for about another hour then go riding for another 20 - 30 minutes or so, perhaps a little harder. After the next cool down you're good to go. You will hear a lot of different opinions on this like "you only have to do a couple of heat / cool cycles" and " you only have to do it once". The main thing is that you do a a heat cycle or two before you rev the *iss out of it. Next is to clean the air filter and change the oil. I always take the bike apart and regrease everything before I do anything. Be sure to check the nut's, bolts, chain & spokes after he rides a little bit. Best thing is to read the manual. About the only thing I dissagree with in the manual it to pull the cyclinder and check the ring. To me that's like starting over again.
Hope he enjoys the ride.

91KDX

Jan 23, 2003
THanks, I was also wondering if you could tell me the amount of chain slack that is supposed to be in the chain. I usually go by the 2 or 3 finger rule. But I am unsure if it is the same for kTMs. Your help is appreciated.

Ben

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
To check chain tension, measure at the end of the lower chain slider on the bottom of the swingarm just where it ends. Should be a 15mm gap between the chain and the swingarm with the upper part of the chain taut.

k-ryder

Feb 10, 2004
kdx....try & get a r1469g needle, 192/190 main jets and a 45 pilot.

start with 192 main, 1469g-2nd clip, 45 pilot, 1 1/2 airscrew at 40-1

Top Bottom