holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
I'll have to start by saying that I haven't been on a 125 since 1975, so I can't make a power comparison to anything else. For what it's worth, my first impression is that the little Kawi has plenty of power over a wide range. It was a little spoogy on the low end, so I'll have to try a smaller pilot jet.

Those with big feet or arthritic ankles may find the shifter lever a bit too short (1/2" or more longer would be better for me). This bike a has a low seat height compared to recent 125 models. When I sit on a YZ125, I'm nearly on the tips of my toes, but my feet are flat on the ground on the KX. The only disadvantage is the tighter seat to footpeg distance - you have about an inch further to go from sitting to standing than on most bikes.

The clutch seems to work very well, allowing just the right amount of slip to get out of corners, with no "grabbieness" or noticeable fading.

The suspension doesn't do anything weird - it does it job and doesn't attract attention to itself. The suspension shops won't get my business for this bike (keeping in mind that I'm a novice level rider).

If had owned a another (recent) 125, I could have made a comparison, but for now, I'll just say everthing worked very well. :thumb:

Hopefully, a real 125 rider will pick one up, and make a valid comparison :) .

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I was amased at the advances that had been made on the little bikes since the 70's. I have ridden several of the newer 125's (save for a yellow one :) ) and they all perform really well, especially when comparing them to old Hodaka's or Elsinores.
Good luck with your new ride!

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
My brother had one of the first Honda Elsinore 125's (early '70's). That thing weighed about 170 lbs and I liked the way it handled, even with the toothpick front forks. Power wise, it felt like I was riding a mosquito, so I was looking around for a fly swatter instead of the kill button.

Modern 125's have twice the power and wider powerbands. It should be an interesting little experiment.... :thumb:

APOWER

Nov 2, 1999
I saw a couple of 03 KXs at the dealership today, and I was surprised at how short they were. But without a doubt they are some of the best-looking bikes that are available.

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
Originally posted by APOWER
I saw a couple of 03 KXs at the dealership today, and I was surprised at how short they were.

The 250 is a little taller than the 125 (probably because of the longer swingarm on the 250), but they're both "low riders" (relatively speaking).

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom