jiimmyb

Dec 2, 2005
A month ago I disassembled my perfectly good running bike to have the frame powercoated. After re-assembly, I attempted a start and there was NO spark. I have been all through the normal steps to include new spark plug, ohm cking all components (to make sure the powdercoating hadn't prevented any grounds where applicable), all pins in the harness plugs are corrosion free and straight, connections tight, no pinched/damaged wiring and checking the kill button. So, I have a friend with the exact same model and year bike who let me swap electrical parts one at a time to my bike. The last component to be swapped was the voltage regulator. Still NO spark. Decided to put my freinds bike back together and now his has NO spark. I don't know how, but is it possible for my voltage reg to have gone bad and fried my CDI box then my friends? If anyone out there has and figures for bench checking these parts I'd be greatly indebted. Even wire identification would be helpful. My local dealer is out of service manuals for my bike. I really need to get my friends bike up and running soon. Thanks for any help.

nickyd

Sep 22, 2004
wow, that's an interesting one. do you have a welder and or do you/did you weld next to those bikes? that can kill a flywheel. hmmmmm...what else - I'm assuming you are positively connecting the cables together - I'm also assuming your ground is free of paint, etc and to bare metal? and the spark plug cap - did you make sure you have a reading from the coil to the end of the cap? how are you checking for spark? I'm assuming that's right - did you pull his/your flywheel? with a puller and treat it gently?

jiimmyb

Dec 2, 2005
re:

Thanks for the reply. Yes, the ground at the coil is good. There is bare metal on the frame. I am not sure how to check the coil as you mentioned though. There was never any welding done on or around either of the bikes. As for my friends bike, we did nothing to it but take one part at a time off of it to swap onto mine. No flywheels were messed with on either bike. Does anyone know of a way to test the voltage regulator and stator/pick-up assy? I am really stuck on this one...

Top Bottom