KevinB4stk

Jul 5, 2000
I've had a 04 450exc since August and I realy like it, it's the best bike I've ever had so far and I'm realy liking the KTM 4strokes.

Does anyone else have an 04 450exc?

Hook81

Jun 17, 2001
I just got my new EXC 450 on 12-20-03. Have not riden it yet. I think it will be the best bike I have ever had! one question? what brake fluid do you run dot 5.1 as the owners man says or dot 4 that is on brake cap? need help

drxr

Sep 30, 2003
I just sold my xr250r and am looking into the exc450. my question is this.....will it have too much power for me, will i be able to 'throw' it around in tight trails, and how does handle in really tight technical trails, does it feel heavy, etc....

also, how much are you guys paying for this bike out the door?

fremontguy

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 1, 2000
Some rambling thoughts. I changed out the stock brake fluid on my 450 to 5.1 when I first got bike. Higher boiling point and lasts longer. Compared with my 300 2-stroke the 450 is a little heavier to muscle in the trees but I usually only notice it when I'm picking it up off ground with mud caked on it. Under $7k is good price.

Zoomer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 17, 2000
I just switched from a Yamie to KTM. I opted for the big brother, as the 450 just didn't have that low end punch like the 525. :yeehaw: Actualy rode it for the first time at DW. I can't say enough about the bike out of the box. I've let a bunch of people ride it since, and they all seem to have the same feeling, great bike. The only accessory I am thinking about is a steering stabilizer> and I wish it had the extra gears. (next project) I'm actualy thinking about taking the kick starter off, as I don't ever want to use it :laugh:

KevinB4stk

Jul 5, 2000
drxr,
I went from a XR's to the 4stroke KTM's.
I realy don't think you would have any problem with the power of the 450exc being to much for you, it is very smooth, don't get me wrong it has alot more but its great controlable power.
There isn't realy any weight diference between a 96-04 XR250 than the 450exc's, butt after you ride it for a while then get back on a XR250 or 400 it will fell lighter to ride.
You will notice that the KTM's steering isn't as tight ( lock to lock, you can adjust the stops to be tighter )as a XR250 or 400. Waeving through very tight trees is where you might notice this the most.
If I were you I would try and ride one 1st.

My prevoius bikes XR400, XR250, XR650r, 520exc, 400exc, 450exc. Just to give you an idea of whare I'm at, the last one being the absolute best.

drxr

Sep 30, 2003
thanks for the reply. i am going to the dealer tomorrow to look at a few bikes next to each other. i am leaning towards the 450exc right now.... just a little worried because i keep hearing about all the maintenance and i want to feel the weight difference... i wish i could ride one, but don't know how i can.... thanks again, craig

drxr

Sep 30, 2003
uhhhhhhhhh, no.

i posted on tuesday, and went today(christmas EVE)....getting the ktm 450exc on friday.(day after christmas) !!!! oh yeah......can't wait!!! any tips on break-in?

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
Trust me, you'll love the bike. I came off an XR400 and riding the '04 450 EXC is liking riding in a different universe. The suspension is amazing stock and the power is great. Don't worry about the power. There's plenty there if you need it, but it doesn't really try to get away from you much.

I thought the seat was terrible on my first ride (just like most people say) but I've honestly gotten used to it. Don't think I'll change it.

I put a Flatlands skidplate on it, clutch slave cylinder guard, Cycra Pro-Bend hangguards, a GPR 2.0 under-the-bars stabilizer and that's pretty much it. Ride it a few times and then realize that when you put a GPR stabilizer on it, it'll be even MORE fun to ride!

As far as break in procedures, I got lots of advice when I asked the same question about my bike (I got it on Oct 3). I heard everything from baby it a lot to ride it wide open on the first ride. I just couldn't bring myself to running it very hard on the first ride. Before I ever rode it, I ran through a couple of heat cycles in the garage. Just start it up, get the temp up a little bit and shut it off. As a rule of thumb, the bike is pretty near operating temperature when the radiator gets warm. Once it's warm, shut it off and let it sit and completely cool down. Once it's cool, start it back up and warm it up again. I did this 3 times before I ever rode the bike. Just be careful because it will warm up again quickly. If you don't keep an eye on it, it will overheat and you'll lose some radiator fluid.

The following day I rode it for the first time. Just take it easy and use maybe 50%-60% of the throttle. I rode for about 15 minutes and then parked it to let it cool off a little bit. I think I did that 3 or 4 times the first day. On the next ride, I was probably at about 75% of throttle. I put about 2 hours on it that day and then changed the oil when I was done. The next ride I opened it up and discovered how great the bike really is.

I'm sure I was waaaay too picky on my break-in, but I wanted to make sure I was gentle with my new baby. Hope that helps.

Oh yeah, not sure if you're in California, but the bikes come really lean from the factory. My first step was dropping the clip two positions on the needle. If your headpipe starts turning blue on your first few rides you'll know it's running a little lean. You can also look into the JD Jetting Kit. I don't have it yet, but a lot of guys are recommending it in CA.

Have fun with it!

GASGAS18

Apr 25, 2002
Im 19, about 135lbs, 5 6/5'7, and ive been lookin at the wrf 250/450 and ktm 450. I sat on a ktm 450 yesterday and im tippy toe on both sides. (not bad but can go lower) I rode my cousins ktm rfs 250 and thought it was very weak in power, like my old xr250.
I ride around my farm alot, but also go off it frequently . I ride mostly woods, and in NEW england it can get rocky. I like goin fast on straight, open paths like power lines, but i dont go too fast through the tight stuff, but i do ride various types.
My cousin is getting the 351 kit for his ktm so i want a bike that will keep up with his. Im thinkin the ktm 450. As long as i dont ride it dangerously and be careful it should be alright im guessing. Until i get used to it.
I been riding for about 10 yrs, but just recently took a yr off. Im coming of a 00 gasgas ec200.

do you think its worth it for me to spend the extra 1000 for the 450? I just dont wanna buy a 250 and ride it for a while and want more power, but come to realize with the money i spend of modding i could have had a stock 450 and be happy. Besides, by the time i ride a 450 for a while, and my cousin wants a bigger bike and realizes a 450 is what he wants, ill have the experience on a 450 hehe what do you think? Is it the right bike for me? The dealer is askin about 6800-6900 out the door. If i can convince my bro to dump his ktm250 exc smoke then he'll get a 450 as well and maybe we'll get a package deal. Duno tho.

drxr

Sep 30, 2003
well the exc 450 is in the garage. took it really easy friday and saturday with little short rides to warm up and cool down, then rode easy on sunday for about an hour and a half. wow that bike is bad! it can't even be compared to my old xr250. hit a few small jumps and loved it... going to put another hour on it wed, and then change the oil for the first time... i know that topic has probably been beaten to death, but any tips on the oil change? what oil? also the head pipe after the engine definitely got blue, so i will prob. look into the jd jetting system, although i know nothing about it or how to install it. thanks for the break in tips and like you, i really love this bike..... craig

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
If you want to keep your pipe from turning blue right away, you can drop the clip two spots on your main needle. It will help, but probably won't give the same response the JD Jetting kit will.

It's a fairly simple operation. Take off your seat and gas tank (disconnect the fuel hose from the tank). You don't actually have to remove the carb to do this. Just loosen the screws on the junctions/hoses at each end of the carb so you can twist it a little bit. Twist the carb so the top is facing towards the right side of the bike and take the two allen head bolts out of the top. You'll see right down in the middle of the inside of the carb there is a brass-looking allen head. Remove that allen head as it is a sort of plug to keep the needle in. Once the plug is out, just crack the throttle a few times to make the needle pop out. Crack the throttle and then grab the needle before it slides back inside the carb (this may take a few tries). Once you've got the needle out get some needle nose pliers, pull the clip off the third slot and drop it down two slots. Pop the needle back in, put the allen plug back in, put the cap on the carb, twist the carb straight, tighthen the hoses/junctions, replace your gas tank and seat and re-attach the fuel line to the tank.

You probably won't be able to tell much of a difference, but your pipe will stop turning blue before it gets too terrible. If you're looking for improved performance, I've heard the JD kit is the way to go. If you're short on time and just want to save your head pipe, just try the above. It's only about a 15 minute job the first time you try it.

Good luck and have fun!

drxr

Sep 30, 2003
thanks for the tip, as i am getting some popping on decel also. i will try to lower the clip position tomorrow and will report back. it seems pretty simple as you have described it nicely. thanks, craig

should i lower it two down at first, or try one down, then two if needed?

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
I'm not sure how much 1 spot down will help. I only went two spots on the needle because another guy with an '04 450 exc told me that's what he did. I went two spots down right away and it helped the pipe blueing but didn't affect the performance at all. It helped the popping on decceleration a little too.

I actually bought a new needle from my shop that is from the JD kit. It's not the whole kit, but just the needle that the clip seats onto. It's tapered differently than the stock needle. It only cost me $12.95 and it did make a much bigger difference overall. The decceleration popping is almost completely gone, it starts a little easier and idles with less popping as well. You may want to see if you can track down that needle if you don't want to spend the cash on the entire jetting kit. I was pretty happy with the power of the bike stock, so I was a little hesitant to make any jetting changes, but the new needle made a nice difference.

If you're interested in the new needle, but can't find it anywhere, just let me know. I could probably stop by the shop, pick one up for you and ship it to you.

drxr

Sep 30, 2003
thanks for the reply and the offer to pic up the needle for me. i will let you know in the next few days. can you give me your email address and i can give you my address. my email is drcraig2@netzero.net. thanks, craig

D Lafleur

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 11, 2001
4 rides on the 04 450 EXC. I have my suspension done on all my bikes, because I go 190 lbs. The stock is good, but done right, tuned rules. Thanks Shaggy! :flame: My new suspension works so good a friend of mine offered me his 450 and 1500 to trade that day. I also have the KTM/GPR steering dampner, this raises the bars to where they should be if you are 6' or taller.

The JD jetting kit is worth every penny. You will feel the differance. The motor runs crisp but isnt lean. Dont forget to check the valves. I did mine at 3 hours and they were tight.

Good Luck with your new ride.

Darin

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
DRXR, Pick up the Scotts SS oil filter it's well worth the $68 they want for it. Use very good oil and change it often.

KaTooM EXC

Jan 14, 2004
I just got my 450 EXC last Thursday and love it. I've ridden it about 46-48 miles and the suspension is great. My dealer said to check the valves after 8-10 hours of riding it.

Here are my mods:
GPR Steering Damper - Black, not the Under Bar Mount
Enduro Engineering - Skidplate
EE - Case Saver
EE - Disk fin, with replaceable fin
EE - Barkbusters - Black bars, orange plastic
MSR - Grips - Black
E - Line - Carbon Fiber Pipe Guard
E - Rider - Brake Pedal Tip
I also have bottles on the front forks, my dealer's version, not ENZO's.

KaTooM EXC

Jan 14, 2004
I also went down one tooth on the front sprocket and went up two on the rear for more bottom end. Sunstar Sprockets. Thinking about a rear brake reservoir extension.........any thoughts?

KaTooM EXC

Jan 14, 2004
I forgot I have the Scotts SS oil filters too! Probably gonna get the Zip Ty break reservoir extension, will I have to bleed the brakes to install it? Also Saving up for an IMS tank.

drxr

Sep 30, 2003
I got the 450 because it wasn't any more weight, only more power. I will never use this bike to its full potential, but I know it is there. Also, not really too much more money. Just figure after the bike and the goodies, you are looking at seven large anyway. It is a bad bike, just hope it is as reliable as the old xr was.

Top Bottom