IPA

May 25, 2006
Hi all, new to the forums, and new to riding again, used to ride a little several years ago. I just bought a New 04 xr250, dealer got a few from somewhere. Is there someone who can explain to me about "uncorking". It sounds fairly easy but I have never done it, I would like to get a little more out of my bike without putting much money into it. I did a few searches on this site but could not find the info I was looking for. Thanks!

adam46

Feb 27, 2006
i've got an 03xr400 but i imagine they're similiar. beneath the seat, there is a snorkel that leads directly to the airbox. it severly restricts air-intake. you should be able to just pull it out. i actually took a saw-zall and opened up the whole thing. k&n airfilter will help too. another easy mod is changing the exhaust tip. you can buy a competion one ot the honda shop. i bought a billet tip on **** which worked great-gave the bike a throaty sound and did increase the power. hope that helps. re-jetting the carb is also a fairly inexpensive and quick mod-you can also get the jets and a compettion needle from honda-i have no idea what sozes would work for you bike though.

adam46

Feb 27, 2006
i've got an 03xr400 but i imagine they're similiar. beneath the seat, there is a snorkel that leads directly to the airbox. it severly restricts air-intake. you should be able to just pull it out. i actually took a saw-zall and opened up the whole thing. k&n airfilter will help too. another easy mod is changing the exhaust tip. you can buy a competion one ot the honda shop. i bought a billet tip on **** which worked great-gave the bike a throaty sound and did increase the power. hope that helps. re-jetting the carb is also a fairly inexpensive and quick mod-you can also get the jets and a compettion needle from honda-i have no idea what sizes would work for you bike though.

highmileage

Jun 17, 2004
In the states, you can't get much better than the hand made Thunder Alley pipes. Don't know exactly what you have available. Seems like a call to Thunder Alley and they could arrange payment/shipping. Although the limitation might be whether the exhaust is the same on the US models from 04', as that was the last year for the states models to be imported???

Wish we saw the newer 06-07 models here in the states...shame on you Honda!!!

TORNADO RIDER

Oct 28, 2006
Thunder Alley pipes...mmm...I will do some research on this. As you can tell by the flag on my profile, I am not from the States, so if I wanna get any of these items I have to work a bit harder with the logistics. Anyway, you guys don't have 2007 XR250's??? Woooww! Thought you would. These hotties are just arriving to Costa Rica. I will be getting mine in about two weeks. We also have CRF230's, but since I haven't got my feet wet with enduros and cross, I dont have many details on them.

TORNADO RIDER

Oct 28, 2006
Beautiful, but it does not look quite like the 07 red XR250, maybe the decals...Mine will be black. BTW, I just uploaded a pic of the black Tornado. Mine will be just like this, but without the yellow decals. Check out in my pix gallery!

R.

highmileage

Jun 17, 2004
Yes...other parts of the world still get the XR250 and 400, in dual sport and sm trim with e-start and upgraded suspension, tank, shrouds, seat, etc, etc.

Honda sucked in 05' for not importing this bike and still sucks for not importing it.

The Thunder Alley should still work even with these upgrades as the frame and motor are esentially unchanged from the 04' XR250R. The e-start should not effect pipe fit as it is on the opposite side of the motor.

The TA pipe is the best that can be had for that motor.

TORNADO RIDER

Oct 28, 2006
I'm glad there are some people who can provide some guidance here. I am basically a newbie with bikes. The Tornado will be my second one and I am already all psyched up thinking of possible upgrades on it.

I am still getting the hang of the motorbike jargon in English, so can you tell me what "sm trim" means? Also, if I manage to be sent the TA pipe from the US, is there anything in particular I should tell my mechanic to do when fitting it? And then, about the airbox thing and opening or cutting the snorkel below the seat, is it advisable in such new model bike?

Thanks for the info,

R.

highmileage

Jun 17, 2004
Sm or Super Motard trim.

The US imported bikes came lean and choked up. There was a couple HP to be made by taking the lid/snorkle off of the air box (under seat) and adding a good free flow air filter. By going to an aftermarket exhaust like the Thunder Alley, you can avoid taking the exhaust restrictions on the stock pipe away. Appropriate jetting changes will be needed.

No worries with the uncorking mods to these bikes as basically none of the US bikes ever made it too far off of the showroom without having the mods done. There frankly was more danger in not doing the mods due to lean jetting and the effects of it.

jwa1r2t3

Jan 1, 2006
I have a 96 xr 250. The first things I did to it was: remove the snorkel on the air box under the seat, get a Uni air filter, take out the baffle, and went to a 135 main jet.

THe main is very accesable as it is just inside the float bowl via a 12mm nut on the very bottom of the carb. Remove the main with a 6mm socket and put in the 135. It all depends on your elevation and temperature to determine jetting but if you ride in an area that is within 1000ft above sea level, going to a 135 and adjusting the pilot screw will be all you need to do with jetting.

I have added a stage 1 hotcam, 77mm 10.5:1 wiseco big bire kit, uncorked the exhaust and added a uni air filter and I have gain a considerable amount of power. I would advise agenst an aftermarket exhaust for now, because it won't give you as much power for the money as a hot cam ($189 for cam, $25 for gasket). Even if you have that done by a shop it will still be less money than buying a full aftermarket exhaust.

Do not cut the airbox opening bigger as it won't provide any help, jetting is probably the best thing you can do AFTER the uncorking mods. Right now your jetting is perfect because it is stock from the factory, but once you change any part of the engine you will need to rejet accordingly.

TORNADO RIDER

Oct 28, 2006
SM, ok, I got it now. Cool!

Very interesting information here.

This brings me now to other questions in regards to the big bore kit. I have noticed some companies offer the XR280 and XR320 kits. For the last one, if I remember well, they also mentioned something about race fuel in order to match the compression ratios or something similar. I get regular unleaded gas, so I dont know about race fuels. Sounds like an inconvenience to get, at least here.

Should I wait till the bike has run over some 3-4k miles in order to start modding it?

R.

BTW: Matte1014, did you check out the black XR250 pic I posted last time?

highmileage

Jun 17, 2004
The Hot Cams Stage 1 cam, and 280 kit (277cc/77mm or 284cc/78mm) @10.5:1 ratio and aftermarket exhaust (Thunder Alley) is a really good set-up and pump gas compatible. These are economical big bore kits and don't require re-sleeving or case mods. Cost is under $500.00 usd ready to roll.

Some go 77mm so the have a bore over left or some go straight to 78mm...you choose. I went 78mm and have had no problems with heat or other issues. Just use a good motorcycle specific synthetic oil of proper weight for the ambient temps. The great thing about these motors is as long as you don't go weird/radical that they maintain stock reliability.

There is a 300cc kit (80mm) available through Thumper Racing that is also a pump gas kit and is better than the hi-comp, race gas 320cc kit IMHO. Both are expensive ($1000.00+ usd) and require re-sleeving and case mods.

The thing I found is, like any other XR, the motor can be made to outrun the chassis/suspension....if you are going to build the motor, budget for suspension work, although the updated suspension on your model is a much better starting point.

Good luck...

slideways11

Sponsoring Member
Apr 18, 2000
Last edited:

TORNADO RIDER

Oct 28, 2006
Hi, Slideways11!

I have always wondered about the differences between the XL, XRL, and XR models? Can you explain? As for the links you posted, we have the same exact models here in Costa Rica. I like the Bros, but I already have a 125'er and I really feel the urge for a meaner engine: 250 will do it for now. Later on, I would like to go bigger. Needless to say, I love the Falcon, but I am going thru phases with the bikes. After the XR250 I will think of something bigger.

Finally, what else can you tell me in general about the XR250? I hope you checked the pic I posted in my gallery, since this is the exact model I am getting in about 10 days. Am I making a good choice? I just want a more powerful bike that is able to blaze thru trails on a reasonable basis, although I will be riding it in the city for the most part.

Thanks for your advise,

R.

slideways11

Sponsoring Member
Apr 18, 2000
There are many differences between the XR and the Tornado. The frame is totally different.

The cylinder head is different the Tornado has a single exhust pipe while the XR is a twin pipe.

The Tornado has electric start with a battery the XR does not.

The suspension components are different.

The XR is more offroad oriented than the Tornado.

If you plan on using your bike as a dual sport it should work fine.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom