_j0kA_

Jan 29, 2002
hey, i picked my 04RM250 up on tuesday, took it for a ride around the dealership and all seemd well (the mech started it for me and then kept it running while i got my helmet on to take it for a spin).. well, today while after i put my yamaha hour meter on i went to start it.. as my norm start ritual, i push the kickstarter down 3-4 times slowly - just to get things moving inside.. anyway, i heard an AIR sound, like if my pipe wasn't on or something.. so i played detective and didn't find anything at first, until i looked at the cylinder! right on the 249cc stamp, there is a tiny hole/crack (casting flaw from the looks of it) that goes through and inside to something.. i pushed to kickstart down with my hand and there is definately a lot of air coming out of it.. there was also a very tiny amount of on the bottom of the crack..

WHAT SHOULD I DO? I havent ridden this bike, other then at the dealership for 10minutes.. i phoned the dealership and they said to stop by with it.. if they offer to "FIX" the hole, should i take the offer? if not, could i demand another brand new 04RM250? or how about a new cylinder and they pay for everything? is it covered under waranty?

a friend of mine mentioned, in response to my earlier post about my bike "bing...bing...bing"ing, that it's a sign of a lean condition.. this was before i told him about the hole/crack, which he also indicated that could be what caused the lean'ness/bing'ing..

THANKS 100000x IN ADVANCE!

Erick82

~SPONSOR~
Aug 30, 2002
That sucks, a good dealership should change the cylinder out for you at no cost. If it was a flaw from the begining. If not contact Suzuki directly, technically it is not covered by warrenty, but they should fix it.

burchdogs

Mar 7, 2003
it will still be under the 30 day warrenty from Suzuki so the dealership will just bill them. I would ask to see the old parts before they send them back and make sure the also replace everything related to the broken parts.

_j0kA_

Jan 29, 2002
OK! thanks! my friend may be coming over with his camera, so i will take pictures before we bring it back to the dealer.. any other bits of info i should know?

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Originally posted by burchdogs
it will still be under the 30 day warrenty from Suzuki so the dealership will just bill them.

A good dealer should take care of you BUT Competition Suzuki motorcycles come with no warranty.

_j0kA_

Jan 29, 2002
yeah, they offered the cylinder free of charge/etc tonight, but i want to push for a free bike.. considering there was an air leak, they may be more damage done somewhere else.. even their own mech said i should get a new ride..

here's the pics
post1.jpg

post2.jpg

post4.jpg

post5.jpg

post6.jpg

post7.jpg

here's the cylinder - air pushes through when you decomp the kickstart
cylinder.jpg

burchdogs

Mar 7, 2003
I stand corrected, they do note come with a warrenty but like Chili said they should still be more then happy to take care of it at no charge on such a new bike.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Beside, that's a manufacturing defect. It wasn't like something broke when you rode it.

Good luck

slideways11

Sponsoring Member
Apr 18, 2000
I would demand a totally new bike. You have not even used the bike yet.

woods812

Oct 30, 2002
jOkA, It looks as what you have is known as a casting flaw. It will not be covered under warranty ( there is NONE ) but should be replaced under what is known as "goodwill". That is up to Suzukis disgression but I'm sure in this case it will be covered. As far as your quest for a completely new bike, I would not hold your breath. I have been in the industry for several years now and have seen something like that happen only recently with a watercraft that took on water and blew the eng. and even then it took a lawyer and a lot of threats to make that happen.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
In some country's you do get a warranty-kawasakis used to come with 6 months.It was at there discrection as to if the bike had been maintained properly, and in accordance with reasonable service intervals(eg no 125 piston is exptected to last 6 months)

also any tuning would null the warranty.

muddy226

Sponsoring Member
Sep 14, 2003
I don't know if your laws are the same as over here, but the responsibility here would rest with the dealer as the supplier of the goods. You contract is with the dealer, not Suzuki, the dealer should fulfil his obligation to you, and then sort himself out with Suzuki. It shouldn't make any difference whether or not there is a warranty, as the goods supplied ( over here and presumably similar where you are ) should be of " merchantable quality " and these goods obviously were not. However I'd be very surprised if you have to resort to law as Suzuki will probably be pleased to re-imburse the dealer and embarrassed that such a thing should get through quality control. Incidentally, do you thing that this problem should have been picked up by the dealer on the pre-delivery inspection? Seems like bad luck, and I hope it doesn't take the shine off your big event ( new bike ) too much. I look forward to reading about your opinions of the 04 RM as soon as you get sorted, as my 00 RM seems to be keen to find a new home.

whitesands26

Mod Ban
Nov 17, 2002
They should get you a brand new cylinder and fix it for free...You bought a product that was flawed and it should be replaced with no questions asked at no cost to you....Suzuki and the dealership you bought it from should be embarrased that such a thing has happened...After all, didn't you pay for that bogus "set up/inspection" fee ? After you get it replaced, you should demand they refund that bogus set up fee for your hassles...Because if they had actually done their job they should of caught that...

You bike does look beautiful...Nice pics!

_j0kA_

Jan 29, 2002
i got a gift certificate from the shop owner and a new cylinder.. raced the bike yesterday and it's amazing! goto product reviews for my write up on it!

Top Bottom