JAK135

Jan 25, 2005
my friend has an 05 crf250r and this weekend the main shaft bearing in the trans went to pieces for no apparent reason.the center cases are going to have to be replaced. his dad maintains his bike to the max, such as engine and trans oil changes after every ride. was just wondering if this is a common problem or just an isolated case. any and all help would be appreciated. just trying to help a friend and fellow mxer.

pj51

Mar 28, 2005
Hey Jak, No you are not the only one, maybe one of the first on a 2005. That has happened to many riders and my friend twice last year. I believe your talking about the countershaft bearing. You sound lucky you didn't take out any gears or have you not got in there yet. After this problem and talking with a few people we started putting in 800cc in stead of 750cc this is because these bearing are real high up in the case and lack good lubrication.Yes you will need the case I hope you have a good friend at a Honda dealership this is not a cheap fix. And by the way he changed his oil every 2 rides and after every race day and used Honda oil.

JAK135

Jan 25, 2005
the mech that split the cases said it was the main shaft bearing, thats why he was shocked cuz its lower than the counter shaft bearing. the inner race is gaulded to the shaft and wont come off without cutting it off. the last I heard he hadnt gone through all the gears for damage. but the case is shot for sure. I heard that most times you have to buy the cases as a set but I'm not sure about these. he's lucky it didnt do more damage and happened on a warm up lap rolling jumps instead of jumping. thanks for your reply. does anyone else know if its common on the 05's as it seems to have been on 04's?

Top Bottom