'05 CRF450R for 3K OR '06 CRF for 4K??-- PICS

Freestyle_Fun

Jul 25, 2009
Hey guys,

Right now I'm trying to figure what to go for, a '05 CRF450R with a high amount of use for 3k, or a '06 in mint condition with only 30 hours for 4k.

I'm wondering if its worth throwing in the extra $$$$, or if I cheapen out will the maintenance cost come back with the '05?
This is bike is not going to be ridden too much, it is Ontario after all... lol

(also the '06 has no tittle, and both are the second owners)

Thanks.

'05:

'06:

2stroker144

Jan 14, 2009
just dont forget to TEST RIDE BEFORE BUYING. you dont want to be stuck with a heap. umm... the 05 looks pretty "loved",go check out the 06. but the 06 has no title, does it have a bill of sale, or could you get a title?

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Generally speaking we don't have titles for any bikes in Canada. Do you know either owner? The reason I ask is I'd be reluctant to take anyone at their word that the bike is mint with only 30 hours on it. I'd plan that both bikes will require the same internal repairs/maintenance (top end, valves, valve seats, suspension rebuild) so the only difference would be what you can see visibly on the exterior of the bike (sprockets, chain, wheels, plastic etc).

Freestyle-Fun

Jul 25, 2009

Nope don't know either.

I believe the guy because of the fact that the clutch cover has almost no wear, nor does the seat logo, vs the '05 which looks beat.

2stroker144

Jan 14, 2009
no offense , but the '05 just looks CLAPPED out. go look at the '06

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Freestyle-Fun said:
Nope don't know either.

I believe the guy because of the fact that the clutch cover has almost no wear, nor does the seat logo, vs the '05 which looks beat.

And I can appreciate that and I'd hope it's an accurate judgment but the first things that come off a lot of guys 450's is the seat (they add a step seat) and plenty of guys use an aftermarket clutch cover for the cool factor or to increase oil volume. It's the same thing when some one shows you an hour meter with 15 hours on the bike, that's cool but there is no way of knowing if the guy just added the hour meter 15 hours ago instead of the day the bike was new. Instincts may be right but whenever I've purchased used, my price is always based on a worst case scenario since there is nothing worse than buying someone elses headache and ending up into an 06 for more than a new bike.

Freestyle-Fun

Jul 25, 2009
2stroker144 said:
no offense , but the '05 just looks CLAPPED out. go look at the '06

Ain't my bike so I'm not offended lol and it does look pretty dead. I asked some stuff like where the original owners are from and he ignored me, then saying I asked too many questions, so he can keep it lol

Not trying to start an argument just pointing out that it would be strange for someone to replace a stock part with another lol.

Is there any real way of knowing how many hours it was used for by some other things on the bike?

And the previous owners are in the states and they apparently "lost" the tittle to the bike.

May 10, 2007
Freestyle-Fun said:
Not trying to start an argument just pointing out that it would be strange for someone to replace a stock part with another lol.

Is there any real way of knowing how many hours it was used for by some other things on the bike?

People put aftermarket parts on all the time. it is the same as putting in aftermarket exhaust but probably closer to aftermarket plastics. people do that so they have to originals and can put them on the bike when they sell it to make the bike look better and less used.

a good place to look at how the bike was used is the air filter. if the airfilter is dirty chances are the bike was not taken care of as it is very easy to clean the air filter.

Freestyle-Fun

Jul 25, 2009

k, thanks, anything else to look out for?

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Freestyle-Fun said:

Until you take the bike apart to check for wear and measure things, you can't know for sure what kind of shape it's in.

Taking strangers at their word when they are trying to sell you a bike they no longer want can be an expensive gamble.

Freestyle-Fun

Jul 25, 2009
Rich Rohrich said:
Until you take the bike apart to check for wear and measure things, you can't know for sure what kind of shape it's in.

Taking strangers at their word when they are trying to sell you a bike they no longer want can be an expensive gamble.

So there's no real way of knowing... damn.. lol

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…