ocechap

~SPONSOR~
Sep 12, 2002
Looking at an 05 RM 85. Found one pretty cheap. Are they a decent bike? Any major issues with this year or model? Used for playing on mx track and woods riding. No racing really.

Thanks

Jim

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
I prefer the KX100 (or a RM100 if you can find one), especially for woods. Less peak HP than the 85 but more torque. Add a flywheel weight, handguards, and skidplate and it's a woods weapon, with a 6 speed that gives it scary fast speed on top.

150rguy

I got fat bars!
Dec 21, 2006
What about a KTM 105 sx?

griffbones

Sep 12, 2006
DougRoost said:
I prefer the KX100 (or a RM100 if you can find one), especially for woods. Less peak HP than the 85 but more torque. Add a flywheel weight, handguards, and skidplate and it's a woods weapon, with a 6 speed that gives it scary fast speed on top.
I agree, I put a KX100 engine, ignition system and pipe in my son's KX85 chassis, and it is a woods weapon!

tnrider

Sponsoring Member
Jun 8, 2003
i believe that the RM85 05/06 are the same. my son has been riding his 06 since july 06. we have had no major issues. only damaged part is that i bent the crossbar bringing the bike home (long story), so i replaced the bars in first week (stock bars are rather weak). make sure you have a pin or saftey wire in the front axle or the nut will spin off (that would be a bad thing)

Cody305

Jan 19, 2006
The biggest problem we had with our '05's were the frames broke. We had 2 of them. It isn't just the '05 models either. We had a '03 that did the same thing.
Motors are very good, suspension workable. You will need to safety wire a few different places, but for all around fun bikes they are very good. The Suzuki models have a tendency to "rattle" a bit more, but we never had any issues with reliability at all (other than the frames breaking) We also raced the bikes every weekend and practiced 2-3 days during the week, so they were rode hard.

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
same issues on our 05. broken frame. also broken shock linkage and suzuki had them on national backorder. PR2 and R&D make good aftermarket ones for the same cost as stock though.

Top Bottom