05 WR450 Questions (after searching)

WaGuy78

Mar 15, 2005
I just got a new 05 WR450 on Friday and I have a few questions. I have searched and read for about 3 straight days now and still have some unanswered questions….so here we go. :)

1. The air box mod… I am planning on doing just the snorkel because I ride mostly on muddy, wet trails up in the hills. Will this be sufficient, or will I even notice a power increase? I don’t really want to have to cut the top off, but if I must, I must.

2. The new exhaust… Seeing as how the 05 have new pipes, I have heard conflicting info on modding them. Some people say you have to drill out the baffle, and some make is sound like you can just unscrew all the allens then remove the whole damn thing. Won’t I lose my spark arrester if I do this? And if I do have to drill it out, am I going to be too loud in the hills? Would putting an 04 pipe (buddy has and extra 04 stock pipe) be the best solution?

3. Idle…. Will doing the grey wire, snorkel, and something with the exhaust solve the stock idle problem? (Mine wants to die unless really, really warmed up or choked).

4. Do I really need to do the jetting after the mods, if not; do I need to do anything right away to make the bike run better after the mods?

Sorry for all the newbie questions, but I just spent some $$$ on this beautiful beast and I want to make it run like it is supposed to without causing any kind of damage to it in the long run.

Thanks for reading, and I look forward to any tips! :)

GhostRider32

Feb 10, 2004
Hope I don't make anyone mad here but there's a good WR450 forum over at thumpertalk.com and it talks all about the free mods and such. No flameing me please, TT is a good site also but I still prefer DRN overall.

Top Bottom