05 YZ 250 Transmission Problem

Colorado KDX

Mar 5, 2002
This week I started my 2005 Yz 250 and heard this screeching in the lowwer end. I shut it off and checked the oil. It was full and correct. I started it again and when I pulled the clutch in the noise stopped ( in neutral). Now when the clutch is out it vibrates a little and make it makes a low tone grinding sound. I check the clutches and basket and it looked
fine. What else could it be?

nickyd

Sep 22, 2004
does it make the noise when the lever is released and then stop when you pull the lever in? if so, its normal.

Colorado KDX

Mar 5, 2002
yes it only makes the sound and vibrates when the clutch is out while in neutral-(sound stops with clutch in) what I can't figure out is what caused the screetching(only did it once) and If the low tone grinding sound have always been there and now I'm just freaking myself out-thinking that something is about to go wrong

Thanks for your reply

ruffryder19

Sep 14, 2005
If you are using the check hole to check for the right oil height, Im pretty sure the check hole is off from my buds bike(04YZ). drain it and measure that 750ML(I think 24fl ounces) goes in the gear box. post up

crazytrails

Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 25, 2005
I agree with ruffryder19, i own a 99 YZ250 and the check screw level on that is incorrect.. the bike needs almost a quart of oil.. if you aren't putting that much in then the noise your hearing is a bushing in the trans. ... if the bike wants to lurch when it is sitting in neatral.. then this could be your problem.. i found this out after removing the side covers more times than i would like to admit.. otherwise your best bet if this all checks out is to contact your yama dealer, and ask them if they have seen this before.. believe me, if your having a problem, your most likely not alone..good luck

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…