Dan105

Aug 23, 2002
I have yet to get the suspension on my 05 YZ250 to work in the roots/rocks of new england. Is there anyone on this board that can tell me they like these forks in the rocks?
Its been revalved twice and still stinks. I am 220, expert in woods, running .46 up front and 5.5 in rear. Sag is set at 106mm, I have tried lowering the fork oil and it didnt really help. These forks are horrible!!! Any suggestions.
Things are soo bad that I am considering sending MXTech my 98 RM TC showas that are on the shelf. I have already checked into having spacers made soo I can bolt them on. I know the old RM conventionals are good forks.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
I had MX-Tech do my suspension and I love it. The 05 valving is harsh in the woods. I tried removing shims and changing fork fluid levels but I was happy with it. I'm 155 lbs and a C rider. I had them set the suspension up for woods and light MX. At my weight and skill level all I have to do is adjust the clickers to switch from trail to track. I still have stock springs. When I got the bike back together after the revalve all I had to do is adjust the rebound on the rear shock, the front was perfect. I did adust everything per Jeremy's recomendations but ended up right where the were when I got them back, except the shock rebound (2 clicks faster).
The 05 YZ engine may be one of the best ever produced in my opinion. The 06 - 08's have better factory suspensions primarily the front forks.

Dan105

Aug 23, 2002
Thanks for the response. I had a company down south take a shot at the revalve and they failed, then I moved back to NH and had a big company up here revalve it not once but twice. I guess im at the point where I think the forks are too complicated / faulty design to be made to work. If I dont sell the bike over this I guess I will finally try Jeremy and send him my shock and the old RM conventionals. Hate to sell the ibke over this. I like the bike and it has soo little time on it.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
I know that when I first got my 05, I felt I had made a terrible mistake. It was jetted poorly and nearly jarred my teeth out on small bumps. Now that the jetting is spot on and the suspension is smooth I couldn't be much happier. I just added a 11oz FWW and an Acerbis tank. The FWW has smooth the power delivery just a tad but doesn't take away from the overall hit.
Call Jeremy and talk to him. Let him know who's done work and what type of valving they've done. He may other suggestions for you to try.

Dan105

Aug 23, 2002
funfactor1 said:
Don't bother with the 05 sell it and get an 06 or newer you will never look back.
Besides the forks i dont think the 06-07 is any better than my 05 with no time on it.

Dan105

Aug 23, 2002
BSWIFT said:
I know that when I first got my 05, I felt I had made a terrible mistake. It was jetted poorly and nearly jarred my teeth out on small bumps. Now that the jetting is spot on and the suspension is smooth I couldn't be much happier. I just added a 11oz FWW and an Acerbis tank. The FWW has smooth the power delivery just a tad but doesn't take away from the overall hit.
Call Jeremy and talk to him. Let him know who's done work and what type of valving they've done. He may other suggestions for you to try.
Thanks I will give him a call. How do you like that Acerbis tank? I got one a few months ago and the quality cant be touched. I installed the 2nd petcock and can use every drop of gas in the tank for long races.

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
I'm kind of in the same boat with my 05. The rider before me had it in 3-4 times for revalves. When I got it the thing was super stiff over chop, yet could be bottomed with the greatest of ease. Two friends of mine have 04's, one stock, one RG3 valved. Both were plusher and harder to bottom.

Had mine revalved by a local everyone swears by. His general opinion was the same as many people on the forums, find 06+ forks. Mine are still stiff over rocks and small stuff, but at least now I can hit big stuff without pain.

When it feels too stiff I just tell myself I need to be going faster. :)

Decently fast B single track rider, 180 lbs.

Someone

Mar 12, 2001
I had bigger springs put in, and revalve by MX-tech this spring, and haven't been happier with my 05. She will be the last 2 smoker I buy. :(

I just trail ride, no racing. 250lbs.

Dan105

Aug 23, 2002
Someone said:
I had bigger springs put in, and revalve by MX-tech this spring, and haven't been happier with my 05. She will be the last 2 smoker I buy. :(

I just trail ride, no racing. 250lbs.
What type of conditions do you ride in? How much roots and rocks are there? I ride in nasty roots and planted rocks

Someone

Mar 12, 2001
I live in SE Ohio and ride pretty easy trails. Not much rocks or roots. Mainly hardpacked with some sandy sections here and there. They do put in "speed" bumps on uphills and downhills to divert the water off the trails, they add up after a few hours (beat the snot out of you).

chiro972

Dec 12, 2002
This is a strange thread. You guys do know that this is a motocross bike. You are asking it to do something it wasn't intended to do and then acting like the YZ has crappy suspension. It has wonderful suspension, it's just meant for a motocross track. I have a YZ and a KDX, I would never take the KDX on a motocross course but I much prefer it for woods riding.

Dan105

Aug 23, 2002
chiro972 said:
This is a strange thread. You guys do know that this is a motocross bike. You are asking it to do something it wasn't intended to do and then acting like the YZ has crappy suspension. It has wonderful suspension, it's just meant for a motocross track. I have a YZ and a KDX, I would never take the KDX on a motocross course but I much prefer it for woods riding.
If you like the 95 YZ suspension so much, then buy my forks off me cause they suck. I have had them revalved several times and to no avail they still cant pick up the small stuff.
And as far as riding a mx bike in the woods goes, I have done it for years with great results. I just finished a hybrid bike that you may approve of though. Its a CR chassis with a KDX engine in it. Anyways the forks on this yz are horrible. I would trade for the older 04 yz forks in a heart beat.

chiro972

Dec 12, 2002
95 YZ? No, I don't want that. But I still stand by my point that the forks on a YZ are created for MX not offroad. My bike is an 03, so I can't personally speak about the 05's but your complaints still sound like you are asking the bike to be something it wasn't meant to be.

KDX in a CR chassis sounds interesting. I love my KDX engine.

funfactor1

Mar 13, 2005
I've had 2004-2008 YZ 125 + 250 and the 05 just did not work well. I revalved and revalved.
And just to let you know (chiro972) the YZ makes an awsome offroad bike-If you set it up properly :nod:

Last edited:

Dan105

Aug 23, 2002
you know what i mean chiro, 05. I decided today that I am going to auction the forks and deal them away. Im sending MxTech my 98 showa conventionals for a revalve. I will get this thing working one way or another.
Chiro-- I tested the CR/KDX the other day real quick. Its going to be nice. The motor just has a Dynoport pipe and Si right now but it felt stronger than just a pipe. I think its cause its pullng less weight.

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
chiro972 said:
95 YZ? No, I don't want that. But I still stand by my point that the forks on a YZ are created for MX not offroad. My bike is an 03, so I can't personally speak about the 05's but your complaints still sound like you are asking the bike to be something it wasn't meant to be.
Being the previous owner of an 05 YZ250f, the forks weren't stellar for what they were created for either.

Dan105

Aug 23, 2002
Well guys after the 5th revalve.... The suspension is awesome. Dont know what they did this time but it works. Man what a relief to finally have this bike working. Gobble up rocks and roots great and I was back to riding fast again.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Who did the revalve? Glad your happy with it now.

Top Bottom