petersca

Nov 11, 2001
Could someone take a look at these pictures and tell me if the plug should look like that.
HERE

The specs
This is my plug after a 1 hour 45 min ride in 85+ degree weather at 4000 asl. Alamogordo NM Red Sands

Bike Specs
92' YZ125 with eric gorr 144
boyseen power reeds
Pro Circuit Platium Pipe and factory sound 304 silencer
NGK BR8ES NOTE: New Plug day of ride.
Jetting
Main #300
Stock Needle 6EN15-56-3
Pilot #20
Air Screw 1.75 turns out

Thanks for your help

chad

Durt Cycler

Trial Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
that plug looks almost perfect. The 8 heat range is just right for your riding. I would think it might be a very tiny rich somewhere but not a big deal. I would try each throttle position and see where it is.

petersca

Nov 11, 2001
I have seen Eric Gorrs Plug readings and my latest plug looks like the normal perfect plug on his page minus the hole outer ring is black. oh well Thanks for responding.

Chad

helio

Dec 19, 2001
I am sure that your jetting is a tiny rich as Durt already said.
Sometime ago I jetted my bike to have a brown insulator and I was happy. But after read here a post I discovered that in fact my jetting was rich!!!!!So I decided to rejet the beast till found a gray insulator almost white with a little black ring close the bottom of the insulator.(to look at this black ring you must cut the shell of the plug or buy a special device that I do not remember the name in English).
Now the bike is more fast and no seizure till now.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Chad,
A plug will tell you if you have a seal leak, detonating, or other details about your motor. When it comes to jetting, many will take the plug out and look at the insulator and make judgments based on the color to determine the next step they go with the jetting. This is a bad way to tune. Some will look at it and claim it's perfect...but what does that mean? It means nada.
Now, if you want to dial in your main jet, you can use a plug reading. But, you want to look way down inside the plug at the bottom of the insulator(you NEED a flashlight to do this, prefferably one with a magnifying sight). If you have ran WOT for a bit under a small load, then chop the throttle/hold kill switch, you will get a decent reading from the plug.
The bottom of the inuslator should have a very small black ring, say .5-1mm in height. This would indicate that your main jet is very close to being correct for that day, at that temp, at that elevation, at that particular relative humidity, using that particular pre-mix ratio.
Other than that, a plug will give you very little information on your tuning.
Check this out:
http://www.strappe.com/plugs.html

helio

Dec 19, 2001
I forgot to tell you... But I assumed that this photo was taken after a WOT under a bit of load.
As Jaybird said you only can use plug reading for your main jet. For the others jets you must feel and hear your bike. :thumb:

petersca

Nov 11, 2001
whyz i have ran the bike for 10-12 hours so far I am a newbie and have been gone for a while (away from my bike) but i will do one around 20-30, unless i can go longer? I guess if i checked my piston and ring around 25 then judge from there.

Thanks again for all the replies.

Chad

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom