SPOILER - Las Vegas & AMA Championship

Ando400

May 2, 2002
HiG4s said:
That is right the amount was too small. It is obvious there was no intent to cheat, but with Bubba and CR the penalty stood, but the AMA gave RCs back. Personally I think they should have given back the previous years points and correct the official standings. It wouldn't change who won the title in either case.

So the approach to fuel penalties is to see if the championship result would be effected then decide if they should be applied retrospectively???? There are probably some AMA people who can sleep well now knowing that RC won, and that they guessed correctly about the championship result a few weeks ago.

In Reed's case it didn't matter at the end of the championship, but at the time of the penalty it did allow Windham back within about 7 points I think, close enough to give him a chance to take the championship had Reed faltered. In RC's case the outcome would definitely be effected.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
So, rules don't apply if you are leading the points?

Seems a lot of people are missing the whole point... doesn't matter if it improved the bike or not, the rule is on the books, it applies to everyone (except RC apparently), it's been inforced previously... simple.

Plain and simple; the AMA caved. Can you blame RC? Nope. What was he going to do, refuse the points?

Ando400

May 2, 2002
The rules should absolutely apply regardless of the points situation. In 2004 with CR, taking the points away was an easy decision because it didn't effect his lead in the championship and coming so close to the end of the season was highly unlikely to change the overall outcome. This was borne out in practice, with the championship result unaffected by whether CR lost the points or not. The AMA looks like it's taking a tough stance but with no real risk.

In RC's case it was very different. At the time of the penalty it was very obvious that it would change the outcome of the championship. While RC won in the end (only just), we now know that with the penalty that wouldn't be the case.

Of course RC wouldn't give the points back, neither would I. If I recall correctly Yamaha also protested in 2004 but with no luck.

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Ando400 said:
The rules should absolutely apply regardless of the points situation. In 2004 with CR, taking the points away was an easy decision because it didn't effect his lead in the championship and coming so close to the end of the season was highly unlikely to change the overall outcome. This was borne out in practice, with the championship result unaffected by whether CR lost the points or not. The AMA looks like it's taking a tough stance but with no real risk.

In RC's case it was very different. At the time of the penalty it was very obvious that it would change the outcome of the championship. While RC won in the end (only just), we now know that with the penalty that wouldn't be the case.

Of course RC wouldn't give the points back, neither would I. If I recall correctly Yamaha also protested in 2004 but with no luck.

Something tells me Okie would have a different opinion if Bubba would have lost a title due to the AMA's unwillingness to modify an absolutely brainless rule.

:nod:

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
Ando400 said:
So the approach to fuel penalties is to see if the championship result would be effected then decide if they should be applied retrospectively???? There are probably some AMA people who can sleep well now knowing that RC won, and that they guessed correctly about the championship result a few weeks ago.

In Reed's case it didn't matter at the end of the championship, but at the time of the penalty it did allow Windham back within about 7 points I think, close enough to give him a chance to take the championship had Reed faltered. In RC's case the outcome would definitely be effected.

No, what I was saying is that if you give one of the offenders points back, you should give all back.. But it wouldn't have made any difference in the previous instances.

Mxrider26x

Apr 29, 2006
john3_16 said:
People will always find excuses as to why RC has won another title against their favorite rider...

yeah even tho i hate RC hes right about excuses its over and done with and us talking about it wont change it but i do think its a chicken**** move for him to retire

Red Mamba

Feb 5, 2006
26yrs !! :ohmy:

Can you imagine how it feels to be forced in a semi retirement at such a young age !
I can see Reed thinking retirement next season at age 24 :think:

Last edited:
Top Bottom