1+1 does not always equal 2!

Guys-

I noticed on another thread that discusses shim stacks that the poster had shown two shims of equal diameter and thickness, with a side note that said basically "equals two".

EX: 11 x 0.10
11 x 0.10 (equals a two)

Sorry guys, but it does not! Dont get sucked into thinking that (for
example) that if you want a 0.20 shim in your stack and all you have
is two 10'sthat it's okay and that it's the same thing. It's not...
In fact, I recall finding out that in some instances it can take up to sixty (60!) 0.10 shims to equal one 0.20 shim.

Now, I don't know the math for this and everyone seems to have their own formula anyways. Maybe Jeremy has an answer we can all live with????

Servus WhiPit,

In this special case, 11x0.1 seems to be a clamping shim, it doesn't matter because those shims don't bend!

Michael

dre - you are certianly correct and I apologize for my over sight!

Yes, generally sizes of that diameter - anything less than 12mm diameter - the "rule" does not apply. Those sizes are normally used as "bender shims". Meaning that other larger diameter shims bend over those diameters.

So let me rephrase: Example - if you needed 4 24x0.10 shims up against your piston, but only have 2 24x0.20, it isn't the same.

Got it? :D

Jeremy Wilkey

Owner, MX-Tech
Whipit,
I'm at my lap top and don't have the files on this computer. I'll attach to this post later. It's a very simple formula.
Regards,
Jer