mxbrian199

Jul 15, 2008
Well i have some time on my hands after my last crash and im selling my 02 kx 125. Im thing about getting a KTM 150 there a rocket and dont ask twice when you tell them to go. But after 11 about 12 years of racing and now the familys broke because of it im about to be 16 looking to get out of racing for now. So the question is would i be dangerous to my self and everyone else on the track if i picked up a kx 250 2 stroke(03-07). Im going to be at the practice track all the time and hit a few 250 open c races but in not going wild racing anymore and im not gonna get mad if im not top 5 and its probally going to be the last bike my dads going to pay for and this next bike is about to be around for about 5+ year. Good idea or bad idea??? and what should i get if its a bad idea

(Ps: I can do all my own 2 stroke work and there a lil bit cheaper)

wake_rider

Feb 21, 2007
If you're already racing a 125 smoker, then a 250 won't be out of your capabilities. Just remember that it's like your 125 but has a little more pull from the bottom (better power in the torque range) and that it hits harder from the mid to top. It really is a good thing though because you have a more broad, usable power range while retaining that solid two-stroke feel.

On top of having a solid mx'er, you'll also gain a lot more capability on the trails over that 125 so you can start to expand your riding venues and experience. Just treat it with the same respect that you would with any bike the first few times you take it out and you'll be just fine with a bike that will last just as long as you maintain it!

Btw, a major plus to the 250 is a less often routine of replacing pistons and rings. A 125 requires keeping the engine screaming in top rpm's to make the power required to hastily lap a track. A 250 has a lot more low end power so you don't have to constantly downshift to keep rpms high enough to pull through soft patches and such. This allows for slightly less wear and tear on the piston, rings, and cylinder and allows for a less common top-end refresh.

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
well, being dangerous to yourself and others is more comon sense and integrity than technique related. and wake_rider gave you a very good reply :cool:

Top Bottom