riverz

Jun 25, 2003
Anyone using a 14 tooth sprocket? What are your thoughts on the extra bottom end? I'm looking for more bottom end rather than zip for the areas I ride. I really can't afford an expensive pipe right now...Saving for a new KDX in the fall.

Chriscorv5

Apr 5, 2004
I have an 03 kdx 200 and the only mods i have done are take the air box lid off and go to a 12 tooth and wow this bike went from a slug to an amazing bike, It has great low end along with zip when you want it!

Nice Guy Eddie

Uhhh...
Jun 30, 2004
yup, if you want more low end you need to drop a tooth rather than go up one... I switched to a 12 tooth on my '01... I barely ever clutch even in the tightest of singletrack

libskater

Sep 26, 2003
i run stock gearing on my 91 kdx.. i put a wiseco prolite piston in it, boysen pro series reeds, and removed the airbox lid. theres a very noticeable increase from stock power over the whole range with those mods and all together it cost just a little over $200

Nice Guy Eddie

Uhhh...
Jun 30, 2004
but the 12 tooth front sproket is $9.99 at Dennis Kirk (RT Sprokets I think)

The airbox mod is free (and advisable).... jetting costs about $20 (for all the jets you might need.... again, from DK)..

for $29.99 you can pull a lot more low end out of that machine.... (not that those more expensive options listed aren't good too)

est142

Dec 30, 2003
smaller front sprocket=lower gearing.larger rear sprocket=lower gearing. i run 12/49 on the stock 108 link chain. tons more torque...almost like a 4stroke. you will lose top speed,run through the gear quicker,have to shift more. 12/49 is great for tight woods trails or real muddy conditions.under ordinary conditions you can start in second gear. i go to 13/49 for the wide open spaces, on the same chain.

jirvine

Oct 21, 2001
I was running stock with a pipe and jetting and ran in a steep up and down gran prix race and really needed lower gearing so I put on a 50t rear that I had. Helped signifiantly but I still waste some of top gear so I'm adding a 12t front to see how that is.

Top Bottom