Hondaxrguy

May 17, 2001
I'm trying to find a 14mm hex socket to attach to my impact wrench to disassemble my forks. I've tried Sears, Home Depot, Lowes, Napa, and Harbor Freight. None of them have anything over a 10mm. I found one online at Snapon.com, but I don't know how to find a local dealer to buy from. I don't really want to wait to order one and have it shipped. Any ideas?

Jeremy

n8MX

Mar 27, 2001
I had the same problem when trying to disassemble the forks on my KX. I couldn't find one around town. Ordered one from MacMaster-Carr (www.mcmaster.com), around $12 including shipping, 1/2" drive, came in a couple days and worked great.

Andy

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
something down and dirty a 3/8ths threaded rod coupling nut.
it is a 9/16hex that if too snug can be made to fit nice witha few passes of a file and it is long so you can use a regular socket on it after it is placed in the compresion bolt.

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
Find a 14mm allen wrench and cut off about 50mm of it and put it in a 14 socket.

bedell99

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2000
Hey guys , I wanted to bump this to the top. Last night my roomate and I went all over looking for a 14mm hex to get out the base valve. No one had one. Sears does not make one. They only make 12mm and 17mm. Checkers, Pep Boys, Autozone did not have one either. My roomate came up with a great idea though and made one for under a buck. So if your in a pinch here it goes. Take a 14mm head bolt put 2 nuts on the end and line them up to your best ability. Trust me that was the hard part. Tighten and your done. He put a little JB Weld on the nuts for safe measure. It worked. You can use your impact gun with 14mm socket. Just one of those little things which will save you some money.

Erik

jon_deer250

Mar 7, 2003
I made mine from a 14mm bolt. I took and welded a nut to the bolt with a mig welder (a stick welder is fine also). Then you simply put the right size socket on the impact wrench. The cost is almost nothing and there is no headache in filing or jamming the nuts together.

Top Bottom