194 KX80 seat height? And a 65 vs 80cc question..

John Blaze

Feb 24, 2000
I'm looking to buy a bike for my younger brother. He's 10 years old, 4'6" tall and has a lot of quad riding experience(I had nothing to do with it, thats why I'm taking over). He's got no experience with a manual clutch but has shifting gears down.

My first thought was to get him an 80.. so we went down to the my Honda shop to look at the 80's. Well the CR85 is WAY to big for him so I thought, maybe a 65 would be better. We wen't and looked at a new KX65. He fits on it well, can touch with both feet and I doubt he would have much trouble starting it. But I'm afraid he may outgrow it fast, but I could deal with that if I had to.

Now I'm hoping the older 80's are shorter. Newer 80's have seat heights in the 32-33" range, the KX65 is right at 30". Are the older 80's any shorter than the new ones? I think he can handle a max of 31". I've found an '94 KX80 for sale and wondering what the seat height on it is? I can't look at it for a week so I'm just asking so I can either forget about it or pursue it seriously.

Any advice on which bike he should get or help with the seat heights will be appreciated.

bubbaxr

Jul 1, 2002
I had the same situation with my son who is 10.
I ended up getting the CR85 and cutting most of the seat foam out.
The bike looks a bit "trials" like now but he'll be riding it for a few years and the seat can be replaced when he gains a few inches. Be aware that the stock springs a bit stiff for a 90 pound rider and you may need to go to softer ones to get the suspension tuned properly.

carnage

Mar 16, 2001
When I switched my 11 yrd old son from a kx60 to a kx85 he could barely touch the ground on it. No way could he start it on his without a block of some kind. However, once the sag was set correctly he was able to get both feet on the ground, no flat though, and is now able to start the bike on his own with no assistance needed. Cutting down the seat foam would have been the next option.

Racer#213

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Nov 14, 2002
what about a kx85 supose to be real beginner friendly. and i think they're in the lower group. Have him measure his inseam and go by there. just add like 3 inches.

Top Bottom