Savage99

Feb 6, 2005
Hey guys, I know that I am asking about a trike here, not a bike but have taken a look at all the post here and you guys seem to know what you're talking about and, after all, an engines an engine!

Anyway I have a problem I was hoping to get some help with. I rebuilt my atc200 (it was not running when I bought it) and started trying to get it to run properly. I have been playing with carb settings and I have it idleing OK. Problem is it is sputtering when I rev it up. It almost has a type of small backfire or pop. My friend said that it seems to be off on timing but I set everything up just like the manual said as far as lining it up. I have no mods done to it so when I redid the carb I put the stock 105 jet in it and factory needle. I have tried the needle on all clip settings and its the same problem. Any ideas where to start looking for the solution to this problem. Thanks.

Mark.

Savage99

Feb 6, 2005
No the air filter is not on yet. I had the entire airbox off because of all the work I was doing...will it make that much of a difference. Also I was wondering about the temperature...it's minus 22 celcius here...how much difference could that make.

Mark.

nickyd

Sep 22, 2004
pretty much all the difference that you are talking about.....hence me guessing right on the first try....put the filter on, clean and oiled and then see how she runs...cold air is thinner - no filter PLUS cold air and you are running super lean (high air to gas ratio) and the bike WILL backfire and run hot. try it with the filter/airbox on and let us know what's up.

Savage99

Feb 6, 2005
I'll let you know as soon as I get the chance to go get a new air filter and put it all back togeher..it's supposed to warm up a little around here so I think i'll wait for that to go out in the unheated garage. Will post results soon,,thanks for the help.

Savage99

Feb 6, 2005
Got the air filter on and its running now without popping. Runs good after I let it idle for about five minutes...even after I shut it off and restart it. Idles OK in first gear but not too good in neutral...idle varies from high to higher. Played with the idle screw but if I set it low it won't idle when it's cold. Any ideas??

Mark.

Top Bottom