Supermuffin

May 1, 2010
I have a 1982 honda xr100 that is registered in my name and i love to ride. But since it was barely ever worked on by the previous owners, some parts are bad:

1.The fenders are way out of shape.

2.The seat is completely ripped apart.

3.The front and rear suspension are completely shot, bottoming out on every little bump.

4.The Handle Bars are bent

---------------------------------

With all these problems i don't know where to start on restoring this thing. The engine is running perfect and has never been opened up! The frame is in good shape. But i feel like im riding without suspension when i go over bumps. :bang:

Do you know any good websites or places i could start to look for parts to restore my Honda? I would like to fix the suspension first but i am fine with whatever.

Any help is fine!
Thanks,
Corey

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Have you checked the online parts system at www.servicehonda.com ? I'm sure a lot of what you need is still available from Honda.

saqmuel

Jun 23, 2010
also with it that old you may want to go through it cleaning the carb maybe getting a new air filter small stuff.

Supermuffin

May 1, 2010
on, servicehonda all of the parts im looking for say, DISCONTINUED on the price... Would do you know any vintage motorcycle websites that i would browse through parts?

saqmuel

Jun 23, 2010
oh wow, well theres a couple options
1. post to craigslist trust me here but post to a bigger city or big town near you to get more views on your add
2.check your local shop they may know some people and were to get the parts.
3. im not an expert on the early 80's but you may be able to get some newer xr parts like from late 80's, my buddys dad got an 89 xr 250r and he can find parts real fast dont know exactly were from butt really just ask around locally.

Supermuffin

May 1, 2010
Thanks saqmuel,
I never thought to check craigslist, one of the first entries i found on there was a tri-county motorcycle salvage shop! I called them right up and they have tons of old parts for 80's hondas. Tomorrow im gonna load my bike up and bring it there and see if i can get some new side panels and handle bars!

As for servicehonda.com, I still was able to find all the gasket sets i needed! Today i noticed that practically all of my gaskets are shot on the carb and the main cylinder! :(

Thanks man,
Corey

saqmuel

Jun 23, 2010
oh no problem, love to help especially when some one wants to get an older bike strated up. i may not have anything below an 01 but when ever a see an older bike on the trails i admire both the bike and that person.

Supermuffin

May 1, 2010
Hey man your a cool guy, i'm pretty new to these forums but i hope to see you around here more often, I will be sure to take pics during the process of my rebuild and upload it here for you too see!

saqmuel

Jun 23, 2010
ha nice man ya ill be looking forward to the pics. also just wondering how did you get ahold of your bike? like friend craigslist or just on the side of the street? jw because i cant seem to find any and i mean any old xr's

Supermuffin

May 1, 2010
It's pretty funny actually because this XR is my first bike literally. I have had it forever. I bought it for 500 bucks off craigslist from a guy about 10 minutes away from my house! he had two xr's from the same year, a xr100 and an xr200. They had both been in his family since 1990. His kids learned how to ride on the 100 and he followed them on the trails on his xr200. I mean this bike is really sentimental to me. I learned how to do so much stupid stuff on it you wouldn't believe. And its just taken a beating.. it wasn't in the best condition when i first bought it and over the years it just got worse and worse from me trying to learn to ride on it. Now that i am getting ready to buy a Yamaha TTR230 or a KTM 250sxf, i feel that i should give this bike a nice rebuild, either keeping it for some friends to ride or selling it on craigslist like i bought it.

saqmuel

Jun 23, 2010
truthfully id keep it if i were you. the xr's are known for being bullet proof, i actully have an 03 xr100r and no mater what that lil sucker will fire up first or seconded kick no mater how long i havnt started it, also im no 100% sure of the older xr 100 seat height but no mater what it would be a fun bike to mess around on. like i just bought a yz 125 last sunday and i still ride my crf 150f, my xr isnt at my house right now. so ya id keep it if i were you

Supermuffin

May 1, 2010
Yeah thats what i will probably do, I found the bike i will be upgrading too (a yamaha wr250f) so im just going to restore my honda ride it a bit then just keep it as a vintage for my buddies and i to ride around on. I went to the tri-county salvage shop today and turns out they have about 5 82' xr's like mine so next week im gonna bring in my Kawasaki ninja 500 and trade everything off it for some parts for my honda!

saqmuel

Jun 23, 2010
ha wooow nice, i can not find for my life any xr's for my life around me haha it sucks cuz i want to trade my crf150 04 for an 80's xr 200 or 250 and than work on it.

Top Bottom