jaco12

Mar 11, 2006
Hey guys, im looking into getting a 86 CR 250, this is my first bike, so im wondering if the bike im looking at is worth it, im on a Tight Budget $1000 max.

- 86 CR 250
- he wants $800
- newer Top end
- Looks Mint from pictures

i need to know if i should pass?, im From Canada so all the Bikes are so much more expensive, 86's for $800!, ive been looking around and i saw a 95 yz250 for like $1100 on this site!, Thank you for the Help!

Asrith

Jul 18, 2001
Man all i can say is try to find something newer, parts become a little harder to find for these older models. It is probably only worth 800, but is it worth it when you cant find parts down the road? I am not familiar with 86 availability, but newer is always better.
keep saving if anything...

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
jaco12 said:
ive been looking around and i saw a 95 yz250 for like $1100 on this site!, Thank you for the Help!
You're on the right track. Keep looking. There are lots of newer bikes in the $1k range. Keep saving your pennies too. :cool:

ThunderGoat

Sep 16, 2006
i have a 1988 cr 250 and parts are easy to order and easy to find cause its a honda, sooo most these guys kinda wrong in that aspect. I do agree newer is nicer though and i bought my 88 for 800 in pretty mint condition so get him to lower price and when you test ride make sure clutch basket is good. in other words when you pull in clutch and put it in first it shouldnt jump it should sit still. its bout A 250 Dollar part right off the bat if its bad and it usually is on older bikes that have never had it replaced

uts

Jan 8, 2004
86 Cr250's are awesome. If it's in good condition I'd say get it. Parts are no problem. They are bottom end beasts, so if you want a peaky top end machine get something else.

chrisdarb250

Oct 13, 2006
If you buy an older bike do your self a big favor anmd make sure it was well maintained. I thought I was getting a good deal when I picked up a 1988 CR250R. I only paid 200 for it
but when I got it home and went over the bike all the small things you think are easy to fix become a huge headache.

As with most 2-strokes. They are rebuilt frequently and if done by a competent person it is not a real issue, but the bike I picked up had every different kind of bolt, nut,washer spring you could imagine. None of the hardware was original.
Stripped bolts, JB weld all over the engine. All in all I have put over $3000 into the bike now. It is basically new but the time and money put in to it would be better spent on something newer.

Good luck

Top Bottom