87KX250

Aug 29, 2005
Hi everyone. This is my first post on this forum. I've spent several hours using the seach feature trying to educate myself as much as I can about my new toy.

It is a 1987 Kawasaki KX250. When I got it, it had been sitting for several years and had bad gas in it, but had a brand new looking carburetor on it. I was told by the previous owner that he replaced the carb instead of cleaning it out.

Anyways, I took the gas tank off, cleaned it out really well, replaced the fuel line and fuel filter and spark plug, transmission fluid... etc. The air filter was also brand new looking.

Now I must first say this bike is like a time warp as far as how clean it is. It was definitely NOT riden hard. I believe it has good compression because it pratically breaks my leg trying to start it (I'm 6 foot 250). Once I get it running though, it runs absolutely amazing. Serious serious power. Easily will bring the wheel up in third.

Now, I started using starter fluid to get it going in 2-3 kicks. Just hit it for a second and off you go... once it gets running it is easy to re-start

Could anyone think of what my startup issue is? I've tried everything, the only thing that works short of like 50 kicks is starter fluid.

I also recently got some FMF torque reeds for it, I will be installing them this weekend.

Ruff Rider

Sep 14, 2004
I could try to diagnois the problem but instead ill tell you to search using terms such as "jetting" "air screw"

Im pretty sure somethings lean or rich or something _ Clymer makes a good manual for this bike (ive got one too)

The guy might have just tossed in the carb and not adjusted the jetting correctly

good luck

sparky970

Mar 2, 2005
Try turning the gas and the choke on, lean your bike over until a little gas dribbles out. Kick it hard once or twice with no throttle and it should start. This is the best way to fire my bike when it is cold. It usually starts first kick.

cr_kid

Aug 13, 2005
Slightly advance your timming. Also check for a weak spark. Pull out the spark plug lead and hold it close to somthing metal (5mm/ 1/4"), like a nut on the head or the frame and get some one to kick.

87KX250

Aug 29, 2005
Spark is good. I put in some FMF torque reeds this weekend and it still has startup issues. The old reeds still looked nice. Can anyone tell me their settings for the carburetor as far as needle, air screw, idle screw, etc. that are known to work?

The bike runs REALLY good once I get it going... but it always requires starting fluid. Is there any bad effects from using starting fluid? I purchased the stuff with the top end lube. From what I understand it just provides fuel that is easier to burn so it starts easier, also provides additional fuel.

Thank you everyone for your responses.

Kevin003

Jul 5, 2005
It could be that your topend is going bad. You may want to check out your piston for slack and see if your rings are still good. But then again maybe your bike just doesn't like cold starts. Try running your bike for a good 10minutes and then check your plug to see if the jetting is off or not.

87KX250

Aug 29, 2005
If the bike runs for a few minutes it will start on the first or second try.

The top end is definitely good still.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom