wornknobby

Feb 5, 2004
hey guys, does anyone happen to know the valve adjustment specs for a 87 XR200R? i see most are some where around the .004 intake, .005 exhuast area, but i can't pin point an exact for my particualar bike. my manual is on order but i need to get this bike done by this weekend. any help is greatly appreciated, thanks :cool:

i also get this horrible vibration/rattle when accelerating hard and letting off, i'm thinking it has somthing to do w/ clutch rattle, but i will have to investigate more.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Don't have the manual but, .002" on the intake and .004" on the exhaust will put you in the ball park.

As for the vibration. Check your motor mount bolts for proper torque and your motor mounts for a cracked or broken mount.

wornknobby

Feb 5, 2004
ok, well thanx a TON!, thats just what i needed, was a ball park as i'm not used to these small xr motors yet, but yea, i checked the motor mounts and didn't find anything, so next i'm going to pull the clutch cover and see how it is in there, thats all i can think of as of now. but thanx a alot for your help :cool:

wornknobby

Feb 5, 2004
ok, so i adjusted the valves, the exhaust was good, the intake was a tad loose. so i put it back together and i don't think that was the problem. when this bike is ideling it sounds just like a xr should, ( sowing machine), but when i give it ANY throttle or let off, there is this metallic sound like rubbing, but more than usual.

now the story behind this bike is the owner told me he rebuilt it a while back, new rings, timing chain, and such. but it was such a long time ago he doesn't remember if he replaced some things, but he said he knows that he had everything w/ in spec when he put it back together, this was over 5 years ago, and since then he said he really didn't ride it much. well considering it sat @ his summer house.

but ANYWAYS, what else could be making this rubbing sound? maybe a loose timing chain? I mean it runs great, its just that sound is making me worry, i changed the oil and nothing outa the usual came out so... i don't know what else it could be. :coocoo:

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
First I would adjust the timing chain. Does it do in when the bike is in neutral or just when it is in gear? If it only does it when in gear, you may have a bearing in the gearbox going bad. A bad countershaft bearing will cause a vibration but will usually cause the seal to leak too.

If it only does it when in neutral, check the flywheel for proper seating and Torque. Also, if I remember correctly, (which is highly unlikely) the aluminum clutch basket is riveted to a steel splined hub. Make sure the rivets are still tight.

If all of that is good, you may want to start disassembling the top end and measure everything. Check the timing chain sliders for excessive wear or damage.

wornknobby

Feb 5, 2004
ok, now as far as adjusting the timing chain, how do i go about doing that? b/c i know some bikes have those "self-adjusters" that have a spring in thme which move over time as the chain stretches, but not sure as to do it manually... :coocoo:

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Put the piston on top dead center on the compression stroke. (Both valves closed). Your cam chain adjuster sits on top of the left side engine case. There will be a lock nut with a screw in the center with a flat blade screwdriver slot. Loosen the lock nut and screw the center screw down until you feel pressure. Tighten the locknut.

Finding a manual for your bike would be money well spent.

wornknobby

Feb 5, 2004
ok this is all i found on the upper lefthand side of the case, now i'm not sure, if i take out the bigger nut on bottom i am able to see what seems to be a top of a rod? now this bolt along w/ the little 10mm one shown are both screwed in all the way, now i'm not sure if i'm looking in the wrong area b/c i don't see and slotted screw to turn... :coocoo: ahhh i need my manual NOW! :bang:

bike-3.jpg

bike1-2.jpg

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
OK, bear with me here because I'm doing this out of memory. :whoa: :rotfl:

If the center bolt does not have a screwdriver slot you must have a spring loaded adjuster. Put the engine on tdc on the compression stroke with both valves closed, (VERY IMPORTANT) and then loosen the 14mm lock nut and then loosen the 10mm bolt in the center. You should hear a 'SNAP' inside the cases. This will be the chain adjuster snapping down on the chain to take up the slack. If you don't hear the snap, your adjuster may be damaged or stuck, (oxidized) or you are on the wrong stroke. Then tighten the 10mm bolt and the 14mm locknut.

If this doesn't cure the problem, I would remove the top cover on the head and physically check the timing chain for excessive wear or a possible broken or worn chain slider.

wornknobby

Feb 5, 2004
ok ,well i have yet another question:
how far is that rod supposed to intrude up into that 14mm bolt? b/c the 10mm bolt only goes into the 14mm bolt about 1/8 of an inch, now to me it would seem that the rod needs to be touching this 10mm bolt?
- i can push the rod down and it springs back up.
-also, w/ the bolts out and looking @ the rod, theree is no movement while i turn the engine over... should there be?

it just seems as if maybe the bolt should be longer... maybe?

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
That doesn't sound right.

If it were mine, I would remove the left side cover and inspect the cam chain adjuster mechanism and sliders for wear or damage. Also make sure the sliders are properly positioned at the bottom.

Top Bottom