valmeida

Jun 7, 2009
can somebody give me the skinny on a 1993 kdx 250! How are the blue forks on these bikes? Is the bike way different then the 1995 and newer bikes? I have a 98 200 but I was thinking about getting a bike for my brother! I plan on completetly rebuilding the bike with my brother so i dont care that it is an older bike. Is the 250 motor alot stronger? Are the piston kits still available for this bike.

nearma12

Mar 29, 2009
The KDX250 is a great bike. They only made that model from '91-'94. The Blue USD Forks work pretty well, but most riders like to install stiffer springs. The stock springs are fairly light and aren't made to handle high-speed well. The motor is the best part of that bike. If it is jetted and tuned correctly it will smoke a KDX200. The KDX250 motor is based off the 1989 KX250 motor. I believe the KDX motor has a heavier Fly Wheel, milder porting, wide ratio Transmission, and different ignition. It has excellent low-end power, tons of mid-range, and a descent amount of top end.

Yes, you can still get piston kits for them from Wiseco and maybe a few other places. The 250 is a completely different bike than any of the KDX200's.

I have a '91 KDX250 and I love it. Yeah.....it is an older bike, but it rips! Hope this helps.

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
The forks are a touch softer than the 1995+ KDX forks, due to the extra pounds of the KDX250. The spring rates are the same. Once set up, the forks will work well enough and not have the underhang of the 1995+ forks.

The piston kits are readily available.

The engine is a fair amount more powerful than a KDX200, as it is 25% more displacement. It does have to move 20 pounds or so more weight.

Aftermarket parts are not as available or easy to find as the 1995+ KDX's.

Good luck with it!

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
The stock forks suck. Hands down. They are undersprung, under dampened and have no rebound adjustment to them. They are very similar to the KLX250/300 forks that run through the mid 2000s.

they will work fine at a snails pace. If you want to ride faster, you need to replace them with forks off a KX250 bike 91-94. You will also need the front brake caliper, axle and wheel off the bike to make the swap painless. you can use the later model years, just have to mess with the clamps and swapping the steering stem.

Also with the rear shock, it is not bad stock. An aftermarket unit like an Ohlin's is a great improvement to the bike.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
The bike is good bike, but it was poorly set up by Kawasaki. If you have the willingness and expertise to set it up properly, you will be rewarded with a decent bike for a low price.

The stock forks are bad, but can be made much better with a revalve and stiffer springs. I also ran no-preload, and put them up as high as you can in the triple clamps to aid in turning (the bike has pretty slow steering).

The stock jetting is way off. Far too rich. The bike will run much better with a leaner main, pilot and slide.

The stock riding position is not good, and can be improved by removing some foam from the front of the seat.

The bike is heavy, but reliable. You can trim some fat off via replacing the pipe and silener and a few other tricks, but she'll always be heavy for a two stroke.

On the plus side, the motor is torquey and has a heavy flywheel. It can run well with a pipe, jetting and a high compression KX gasket. The gas tank is large (mine and my friend's both measured 3.6 gallons; I think the manual says 3.2).

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom