1995 KX 250 clutch side crank seal letting tranny oil in?

joe265

Feb 13, 2005
I have been noticing some oil loss when i check my site glass from ride to ride, i usually change the oil every other ride or so but i have noticed a drop in my level and i could swear i added some the last time before i took it out and level seems to have dropped a little again. I have noticed a little bit more smoke coming out my exhaust or i'am just a little nervous the the crank seal let loose again. I have had the crank seals changed a few years back and i really don't know the life expectancy of the crank seals but the last time i had it apart they still seemed very pliable and soft, if that means anything :bang: Could anyone tell me a good way to tell if the crank seal is allowing tranny fluid into the engine other than what i described? The plug after a couple of rides seems a little darker on the plug insulator because it's usually tan. I run type F in the tranny, could this hurt the crank or cylinder if it is getting in there? I used to run 10w30 and i noticed a build up on the cylinder the last time this happend. I seem to be fixing this thing more than i ride it. Why did kawasaki make you split the cases just to change a crank seal :| I would really appriciate any help or direction on this ....Thanks Vic

KXtrailrider

Sep 12, 2004
Pull your clutch cover, presurise your engine to 5psi and spray soapy water around the seal and look for bubbles. If your seal is bad you should find it this way. Good luck. Ed

Top Bottom