KID KDX

May 15, 2001
Ok, I finaly found a deal on a KDX 200, and not one day too soon, I bought it on the day the Doctor finally said that my leg is all healed up, and now I can ride!!!!!:) :cool: :confused:

Alright,

I payed $2000 For a 1996 with the following

Basicaly Stock
Pro Circuit Pipe
Stock Silencer
Uni Filter
KX Number Plate

I performed the Air Box mod, by throwing the lid out the window!;)
It still has the stock sprokets and chain, and almost NO wear on the frame!! Also, it is missing the Odometer and Cable.

My Questions for your are as follows...

Did I pay a reasonable price?!?!?!
What headlight do you recomend for night riding? I plan on rewinding the stator.
How does the PC Pipe rate? What about stock silencer? Should I get FMF?
What can I do about the purple plastic!?!? I cant stand it!!! Does anyone have a Green tank?
What about speedometers/odometers? What type of replacements are available, and how much?
What type of GO FAST mods are available?

Last edited:

KdxChode

Jun 18, 2001
It seems like most people go with the FMF pipe but I don't think the PC could be that much different. If the bike came with a pc pipe my next step would be to rework the forks. I just got new springs myself but haven't put them in yet. In retrospect though...I should have done the suspension before the pipe or anything. I hadn't ridden in 10 years and just bought a pipe and silencer the day I got the bike. Now that I have some time back on the trail I realize that the suspension is the worst part of the bike(I think the forks on my old 82 XR250 were better). I would concentrate on that before anymore go fast mods. As far as all the other stuff just read the messages, everything you need to know is right here...and on the justkdx page. From what I have heard upgrading the suspension will probably make you go faster than any of the go fast mods without new suspension.

teton

Dec 13, 2000
Hi Ben, $2,000. is not a bad price, esp. in Cal. dirt bikes here hold there value well and the green sticker issue will always rear its ugly head, perhaps when they really start to inforce the issue your bike will be even harder to find. When someone wants a newer style KDX and wants it to be a green sticker bike they will only be able to choose between a 95, 96 and some early release 97 year models.
Sounds like you have a clean one, if there is still paint on the frame down by the foot peg's like you say. From the posts that I have read, the PC pipe is a little more like a rev pipe than the K-35 fmf pipe, not to worry though you as well as the one's who have it, like it.My bike is a 95 KDX 200, and I paid $1,900 one week ago, I got a lot of goodies with it.
Get rid of the stock S/A for a PC or FMF, I have a used FMF S/A that came with my bike that I can sell you, what part of CA do you live ?
As far as go fast goodies go, this is how I would start:
FMF or PC pipe (you have one)
new S/A, PC or FMF
reeds or rad valve
Carb mod.
Then if you still want more get some porting done by Fredette or Gorr
You also may want to change the gearing before you start the porting process.
Dont forget the suspension, how a bike rides and handles is more important then how many of your buddies you can beat into the corner, getting out of the corner or nailing the bumps without going over the bars should be a top project. If you cant find a used green tank, you can try a IMS tank, alittle bigger but I dont seem to notice it.
Let me know about the S/A, I also have some used plastic (green) to help you lose the disco purple look !!
You can email me at: dlbcrasher@msn.com if you have any questions;)

Bob

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
Ben, I've got both a PC system & FMF torque system, but to be honest,
I prefer the PC over the FMF. It feels crisper and I seem to stall it
less with the PC. Probably my style of riding (hmm, got no style or
class, so that can't be it). The only way you can compare the two is
to have both.
I'd get the suspension set up next if it's not right for you, then
just do things as you can afford.
For an odo, check out www.trailtech.com as everyone's who's bought
one seems happy with the system. Headlight (not from experience) I'd
go with the acerbis dual headlight as they're sexy numbers (but yip,
you'd need the stator rewound - stock's only 30w front, 10w rear
whereas each light on the acerbis is 35w). Check out the kdx site
for recommendations on what to do for other mods.
Hope that helps some, & enjoy the kdx :)

G. Gearloose

Pigment of ur imagination
Jul 24, 2000
Originally posted by KID KDX
My Questions for your are as follows...

Did I pay a reasonable price?!?!?!
Welcome KID
I believe you did quite well.

What headlight do you recomend for night riding? I plan on rewinding the stator.
Acerbi HP, and its DOT legal if you ever get ambitious to dual sport.

How does the PC Pipe rate?
Uncertain

What about stock silencer?
Priceless when you meet a smiling land owner and he says, 'boy, you snuck right up on me!'

Should I get FMF?
Optimize jetting first.

What can I do about the purple plastic!?!? I cant stand it!!! Does anyone have a Green tank?
Perhaps you can offset the bad hues with some black plastic.

What about speedometers/odometers? What type of replacements are available, and how much?
http://www.geocities.com/Baja/Trails/1501/harvanek.htm for the DIY
(but since posting, add a coax union near the fork bottom for easier service)
or Trailtech for plug & play convenience

What type of GO FAST mods are available?
Fork Springs,Jetting, carb mod, jetting, Delta valve, jetting, porting and oh ya, almost forgot...jetting!

Grease swingarm linkage, and browse http://justkdx.dirtrider.net for the whole scoop

JohnScott

~SPONSOR~
May 22, 2001
I paid $1600 for a '96 four months ago. It was ragged out. It came with a FMF Gnarly pipe, FMF SA and Boysen Rad Valve. I've got $2800 in it to date after tearing it down to the frame, having Gorr port it and make it a 223 and having the suspension worked on. All the bearings were bad and the linkage was shot. Needless to say I've learned a lot about what to look for in a used bike. I still have a little work to do on it. I rode it hard for the first time this weekend and I think I'm in love - it's awesome.

I said all that to tell you that if it's in good shape, you got a good deal. I didn't but I sure learned a lot in the process.

I've got some used springs (for a lighter rider) if you're interested.

JohnScott

~SPONSOR~
May 22, 2001
Teton,

I had heavier springs installed in the front and rear and shock revalved - that in addition to the replacement of other thrashed parts.

KID KDX

May 15, 2001
I've got some used springs (for a lighter rider) if you're interested.

LOL!! I weigh 130 with gear on, and I am bottoming out the suspension, and I dont ride very hard!!! Is this normal?

NOTE: I bottom the rear worse than the front, shouldnt it be oposite?

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
No way should you be bottoming out regularly. The shock either needs
to be rebuilt (most likely) and possibly the fork fluid changed. I'm
lighter than you and had to get a softer rear spring as the bike felt
horrible with stock suspension (they put in fork springs for about
your weight, but the rear is for someone heavier - logical? no way).
Get a manual if you can (a few here have complained about them on
back order).
p.s. I don't ride hard either (and I know someone will correct me if I'm wrong :))
Michelle

KDX Lover

Jun 25, 2001
Name??

Hello there Kid Kdx. Yes you finally got the bike that fits your name, congrats. I know this has nothing to do with your questions but I know you were looking for a name to call your bike. I was just suggesting something like Barney.I think its very applicable considering the purple color scheme.

Top Bottom