kmx125r

~SPONSOR~
May 23, 2000
Greetings from the Philippines.

I am considering buying a KDX250 from a local fellow. He said the bike is a 1996 model, but I knew they were only available up until 1994 in the US. Could this be a Aussie or Japanese bike?

It was apparently street legal at some point and in some country. It has a 3.5" round speedo/odometer and some idiot lights to the right of the speedo for "neutral", and "low oil". It is also an autolube motor, premix not needed! It has inverted forks, but they are not blue like in the US, but a natural aluminum color.

The bike starts easily and seems to have good power. The clutch seems very smooth.

Can someone give me more info on this version of KDX250? What does a "street-able" KDX250 weigh?

The asking price is $1735 (converted to dollars), but through brief negotiations we are close to settling on $1428...

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Jim

1998 Kawasaki KMX125R
1996 Kawasaki KDX250 (hopefully)

[This message has been edited by kmx125r (edited 04-15-2001).]

spanky250

Mod Ban
Dec 10, 2000
I am not familiar with this model, but the dirt version weighs about 245lbs. dry, so the street version is probably pushing 250 or more. If it is like my bike, you will find the engine makes great torque, but little top-end power. The suspension is way to soft stock, and the handling is very stable, but not a very sharp turning bike. Overall, with a few mods, this bike can be made to rip. Mine has monster low-end and midrange, and the suspension mods transform a wimpy trail bike into a real contender.

You are correct about the bike only being sold in the US from '91 to '94.If it is oil-injected, I can not say that it is the same engine.
------------------
1992 KDX 250-FMF porting,two-stage power reeds, Fatty pipe, Power Core silencer,titanium rod,Wiseco Ultra-lite, Pro-Action suspension...Oh my Gawd, they killed Kenny!

[This message has been edited by spanky250 (edited 04-15-2001).]

[This message has been edited by spanky250 (edited 04-15-2001).]

kmx125r

~SPONSOR~
May 23, 2000
Dear Spank,

Thanks for the reply...

How does a KDX250 and a KDX200 compare? I've heard that the 250 has a bigger chassis and is not as crisp in the handling department. DO you know where I can get the specs (wheelbase, weight, etc.) for a KDX250?

How about decals for the radiator shrouds? I've browsed a couple of catalogs and it seems that no one makes them for the KDX250...

Well whatever state the suspension is in is the way it'll stay until next year (June 2002) when we return to the US for a year.

Any thoughts for trimming the weight?

Thanks.

Jim

spanky250

Mod Ban
Dec 10, 2000
1. The 200 and 250 are completely different bikes. The 250 is based on a 1989 KX250, but the frame is made out of a cheaper, heavier alloy. The engine is basically a KX250 engine with different porting and a wide ratio tranny, so it has tons of performance potential. You can do an internet search and get all the info you want on the KDX250.

2.No one makes aftermarket graphics for this bike. OEM only.

3. The main problem with the suspension is the front springs are way to soft for anyone over about 140lbs. The forks will ride around at half mast, keeping them in the stiffer part of the stroke, making them harsh and unresponsive. Installing stiffer springs makes a huge difference. Stock is .35, I am running .41 springs.

4. The weight problem is mainly due to the frame, so there is not a lot you can do.

The bike has tractor-like torque that rivals (or beats) mant four-strokes, but it also has tractor-like turning. It is a brute-force bike that requires squaring off turns and steering with the throttle and rear wheel. It hates off-camber turns. If you ride in ares that have lots of slow, gnarly, technical hills, this bike will walk away from many others. It will grunt up hills in second and third that other bikes have to scream up in first and second, but the power stops early and abruptly. The engine does not make any top-end horsepower, although I am sure some porting would change this, but I like the grunty nature of the engine. You can loft the front wheel on demand in any gear except fifth, and it pulls very hard out of turns. This is a two-stroke that makes more torque than most four-strokes.

------------------
1992 KDX 250-FMF porting,two-stage power reeds, Fatty pipe, Power Core silencer,titanium rod,Wiseco Ultra-lite, Pro-Action suspension...Oh my Gawd, they killed Kenny!

Top Bottom