1997 Kdx 220 G/box Problems

LPKDX

May 8, 2005
do these thing give much trouble in the gear box mine has trouble with second gear not working (just makes graunching noises like it trying to ingage) all other gears work fine
is it common for them to break gears
i have only owned bike for about 2 weeks

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Welcome to the site :cool:

Be sure and go to your User CP and update information relating to your location, type of riding, etc.

I am going to move this thread to the Canadian Daves JustKDX forum so it will get more views by folks that have likely forgotten more than many of us know about the KDX.

Grab a spot on the couch, crank up a new post in the New Member? Welcome! Go here first. forum and tell us a bit about yourself. How long you have been riding, what kind of riding you prefer, where you are located, etc. We will do our best to hook you up with some fellow dirt bike enthusiasts.

Again, welcome to the site, and shout if you have any questions!

Green Hornet

Apr 2, 2005
LP-Need more info. You have only owned this bike for 2wks? Was this problem noticed before you bought? Contact the previous owner. Does your clutch have proper adjustment? How old is the transmission Oil? Is there enough Oil? Check the most obvious and then post back and people will be able to help more. :)

LPKDX

May 8, 2005
yeah only had this bike two weeks i had an old xr200r honda that i was riding around
Nah the problem wasn't there when i brought bike i rode it for about 30 mins - 1 hour on a farm before i brought it & there was no sign of it the day before it happened.
Talk to guy i brought bike of and he never had a problem with it
the clutch was pain with the lever in and u put it in gear the bike would slowly move forward with lever still in we took clutch apart last nite looked pretty worn but we found washers behind the clutch springs?
The g/box oil was replaced in bike about two weeks before i brought it at a motorbike shop

Last edited:

Green Hornet

Apr 2, 2005
Sounds like you solved your problem with the clutch. Also get cable lube and spray the cable up good. Washers are part of the clutch for adjustment reasons. If you have a service manual look under Clutch for an explanation

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom