Matt_H

Sep 13, 2001
I am wondering how I could get more low-end power from my kx125 right now its got a bills pipe,fmf shorty, gearing 12- 48 and am wondering how to get more low to mid range power with out have to bore/port it I would like to hear anything you wonderful people have to say thanks:cool:

KawieKX125

~SPONSOR~
Oct 9, 2000
Well for starters, get rid of the gearing you have and get 12-51 gearing. That with the addition of carbontech low tension reeds really woke my bike up.

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
You may look into getting the head milled a bit. Compression helps low end, but after the mod you should run race fuel all the time (if you aren't already). Low priced mod.

Gearing it down will help, although it won't actually add any power. The gears will be spaced closer together, helping the engine stay in the powerband.

KawieKX125

~SPONSOR~
Oct 9, 2000
Don't mill the head. There are alot of bolt ons that will give you mucho bottom end power such as reeds, a noleen pipe and different gearing. Try those first.
BTW, I have a Noleen pipe that I might be willing to sell if the price is right. It really makes the bike bark hard off bottom but signs off quick and falls flat on it's face power wise!

Matt_H

Sep 13, 2001
Thanks for the help guys I plan on changing the gearing and was wondering how much of a difference the reeds will make to the thorttle response and power. And Kawie thanks for the help before I guess it helped.

KawieKX125

~SPONSOR~
Oct 9, 2000
Get carbontech low tension reeds and a torque spacer. Go with 12-51 gearing as you will not be able to fit a 13 front without mods and it would be a step in the wrong direction. Another cheaper option and the one that is on my new bike is to get an 11 fron and use that with a 48 rear. Nearly the same gearing as 12-51, but alot cheaper to change. The noleen pipe really wakes up the bottom end if you want to buy mine.

Matt_H

Sep 13, 2001
Kawie thanksfor the offer but I'm on a budget right now cause my whole bike is getting done top and bottom beraing the works so I got to save a little money but thanks for the offer. If I were to put in a rad and reed I won't loose any top end will I? My dealer here is selling everything that he has in stock for 50% off and was wonder since all they sell for reeds are those v-force and Boyesen reeds would they do the trick at half the price?

KawieKX125

~SPONSOR~
Oct 9, 2000
I even have a set of carbontech low tension reeds that I can sell with the pipe. Both of them together would be less than a rad valve or a V-force. What is your dealers prices on those pieces? They may help, but the carbontech reeds make a HUGE difference. The gearing was also a very good thing I did to my bike. That really woke it up. All you need is an 11 front sprocket and just put the adjusters way back.
BTW, do you have the bike jetted correctly? That also makes a very noticable difference.
BTW2, the reeds are 35 new and a front sprocket is about 18.

Matt_H

Sep 13, 2001
With that pipe do you loose any top-end at all? and what kinda shape is it in?. How used are the reeds? and how much are you asking for them?

KawieKX125

~SPONSOR~
Oct 9, 2000
The pipe really improves the botom with a big loss in top if you are using a stock silencer. With my PC silencer(similar to FMF I guess), I gained loads of top and some bottom. I ran the reeds for a year and they are still good, but may not have much life left. This setup really worked well for me but I got a new bike that was designed for the FMF pipe and cannot run the Noleen. I would want around 50 for the pipe and probably 5 for the reeds since they are on their last leg. Try jetting and regearing he bike first. That really makes the biggest difference.

Matt_H

Sep 13, 2001
Thanks kawie but I phoned my Kawasaki dealer here and hes goin to have fmf toque reeds on sale for my bike on saturday and there 15$ new which isn't bad since I live in Canada. Um i dunno what to say about the pipe my dad told me to hang on for christmas so maybe hes got a pipe in mind? but thanks anyways and I am thankful for all your help.

Matt

Top Bottom