mouthster

Nov 4, 2006
I have split the cases on my rm125 and according to the Clymer manual it looks like the transmission should just lift out but I can not get it out I have even ponded on it with a hammer and it wont budge does anyone have any suggestions or am I doing something wrong? thanks

buytamra

Oct 22, 2006
It should come out

The tranny should come out assuming you have everything off the outside of the shaft(s). There is a main shaft and a counter shaft. Do either of them come out?

dirtbikersa

Mar 15, 2006
Did you need any special tools to split the cases? I also need to remove the transmission on mine but not sure if I should do it myself as I am not sure what 'special' tools I will be needing. I also wanna replace the crank at the same time.

buytamra

Oct 22, 2006
Tools

You need a flywheel puller, a case splitting tool, and a crank removal tool if you want to do the crank yourself. You'd better get a Clymer Service manual before attempting this. They detail what tools you need and how it's done. You can save a bunch if you buy the tools on ****. I got a case splitter for $50 instead of the usual $140 they want for a Motion Pro splitter. It's not name brand but split the cases very easily. Good luck!

dirtbikersa

Mar 15, 2006
mmmm. I would have to order the tools I need in from States which will cost extra due to postage etc. Prob going to be cheaper to have it done. Not something I do all that often.
Thanks buytamra for the reply. I will still look into doing it myself but I dont think it is going to be worthwhile. Even though I was kinda looking forward to doing it.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
After you have the case off,then you have to slide the shift fork shafts out,and remove the forks.Then the 2 trans shafts should come out together.Mind the placements of the shafts and forks,some are one way and obvious and some look the same.

mouthster

Nov 4, 2006
I hace split the case and removed everything but the transmission does not budge. I even got out a hammer and tried to pound them out but nothing. Is there something I am missing? Also to anyone splitting thr case for the 1st time it is very easy but the clymer manual is a must! I have split my case for the first time about a month ago and have done it several times since. It takes about 3 hours after you get the hang on it.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
Did you remove the shift drum before you attempted to remove the transmission?

I only needed a flywheel puller tp split my cases. I used some of the longer bolts from the cases, threaded them into the holes near the dowel pins, and used a plastic mallet to hammer on the bolts. This drove the cases apart. For reassembly, to install the crank, I heated the bearing inner race on the right side a bit with the torch and the crank dropped right in, by gravity. I installed the seals after assembling the case halves.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
You should NOT have to mess with the drum.Forks removed and the idle gear removed and sometimes the bearing behind the clutch hangs the shaft up,gently hit it with a lead or brass hammer while holding the gears with the other hand.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
True, you don't have to remove the drum. I usually just do it anyways. You do kind of need an impact wrench for that one, the nut is usually Loctited in. If you don't want to deal with it, as fox said, it doesn't have to be removed.

Top Bottom