EricGorr

Super Power AssClown
Aug 24, 2000
SERVICE HONDA 20” Front Wheel

When I was a motorcycle mechanic in the early 1970s the rage was to covert cheap Japanese street bikes into dirt bikes. Back then bikes had 19” front wheels and we used to lace-up 21” front wheels because the larger diameter wheel rolled over the bumps with less detrimental affects on the front forks. But back then the forks on a 500 was skinnier than the ones on a new KX65. And damping was controlled by a spring, a hole, and some aerated oil. Gee, the good old days. It’s amazing I’m still alive.

When Rich Rohrich bought a 20” front wheel from Service Honda and bolted it on his CR125 I thought maybe the fuel fumes were starting to get to him. So we set-up an A, B test at the OT National Track. Rich gave me a mumbojumbotechno explanation of how its supposed to work but I kept having 70s flashbacks to low-sides and endoes caused by too small of a front wheel.

My highly scientific test includes leaning the bike over in a sweeping turn and purposely washing out the front end, noting the lean angle and the distance of the washout until I crashed. At DRN, we moderators are willing to sacrifice ourselves to the potential backlash of a product so you don’t have to! Well the good thing is, a 20” front wheel resists washout and once the washout starts to occur, the counter action of the rider is more predictable and there’s less chance of high-siding from over-correction. I was able to do a feet-up purposeful washout of the front end and correct it by turning out of it. That made me feel a bit more Carmichaelish, and provided a big boost to my middle-aged ego. That in itself was worth the money!
Another interesting phenomenon that I noticed was the stability of the front end while riding through whoops one at a time, or landing on the front end on the downside of a jump.

Right now I wouldn’t recommend that you run out and buy a 20” front wheel until the tire manufacturers get on board and start making a variety of tire compounds. The front wheel I tested used a Bridgestone tire with a compound and tread pattern suited for dry hard-packed soil, which is where the front-end washout problem will be more prevalent. If you ride in a climate where its mostly dry and the soil is hard-packed clay, I think this 20” set up is a good product and worth buying.

Eric Gorr

mxneagle

Jan 7, 2001
I laced one up on my 02 CR250 and ran it for about 2 months straight. I noticed more bad traits than good. The best advantage was when entering turns on the brakes, the front end felt more firmly planted and controllable. Once in the turn I really didn't notice much difference though (flat corners). It also tended to take the sharpness out of the square edge braking bumps but I noticed it felt kinda bouncy (sort of like an atv tire).

On jump landings I noticed that if you have the front wheel turned slightly that it would tend to grab and wrench the bars somewhat (not real confidence inspiring for me). I noticed a tad more head shake especially when hard on the gas. I think that the tire has more traction and will grab the chop more causing a bit of shake.

Finally I notice in rutted berms the tire would drag. In one corner I thought I was dragging the inside peg. Then I switched back to a 21" wheel and realized that it was the knobs on the front tire dragging on the inside of the rut.

I switched back to the 21" wheel and have been running it since. I just feel more comfortable on it. For sale 20" tire and wheel...Naw actually I'll just trade it in with the bike and keep another spare front.

Jeepboy

Oct 25, 2000
Has anyone else had any experience with the 20" front wheel on a CR? I'm thinking of buying one to use stricktly for hardpack tracks.

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
It seems to me that any advantages the 20" wheel/tire may have are provided by the extra width, not the smaller diameter.
Why not a wider 21" wheel/tire ?

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
the 20 stinks in sand IMO
I thought it to be lacking on everything BUT hardpack. 21 for sand, loam, mud, etc. Like Eric said, some better tire choices may help here, but it just plows thru the mud/sand. Cushions square-edged and smaller bumps. It's worth the $, if you really need every competitive edge you can get. I'm not fast enough to make it worth it.

KawieKX125

~SPONSOR~
Oct 9, 2000
Tire choice is key. Good point Okie.
I too find it far from useful for my skill so I am selling it in the near future.
Hey, anyone want a 20 ich front wheel for a kx?:D :p

Top Bottom