MightyM991

Oct 15, 2004
I have a 2000 CR 250 and the bike vibrates something awful. I need to do something to cut down the vibration so that I can actually ride it for any amount of time. I have been told to put a bar snake on it and I have also been told to put bar ends on it. Does anyone know which is better? Also I have been told to fill the frame with foam, I was told that there is a place to put it in up by the steering stem but unless it is the screw hole that holds the gas tank on I can't find it. Does anyone know how to fix this problem? I like the bike but I hate the vibration. Thanks.
MightyM991

James980

Dec 29, 1999
MightyM991 said:
Also I have been told to fill the frame with foam, I was told that there is a place to put it in up by the steering stem but unless it is the screw hole that holds the gas tank on I can't find it.

Just to answer the question, you need to take the triple clamp off to get to the hollow part of the frame. The tube on the end of the spray foam stuff should be long enough to reach.

As for the vibration, the bike simply shakes. It's not as bad as some but it does vibrate. The fixes you mention may help some (might as well try them all because they're cheap -- some put sand inside the bars instead of a bar snake) but they won't make the bike as smooth as a steel-framed bike or a newer aluminum-framed one.

Unless there is something mechanically wrong with yours that's making it worse than normal (e.g., a broken motor mount) then you'll have to learn to live with it.

Lissa

"Am I lost again?"
Apr 28, 2002
I had a '00 CR250. I noticed a little more vibration being transmitted to the handlebars on this bike then on steel framed bikes I've had. It wasn't so bad that it wasn't rideable, though. I raced the bike for a season and never really noticed the vibration difference until I got my KX's. Make sure your motor mounts are tight, but I wouldn't personally go as far as to put foam in the frame or a bar snake. Maybe on a KX500 (now thats a buzzy bike), but not on a '00 CR250.

markthomps

Sponsoring Member
May 27, 2000
My CR250 '00 doesn't vibe noticeably. However, it might be becuz I run oversize bars.

I think you need to check that everything is right with the motor and mounts as what you're describing doesn't match my experience with this bike and I've had it long enuf.

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
What will help with the vibration in the bars is to fill them with silicone. I use the stuff from Home Depot or Lowes. Cost is about $3 for a tube. Just take the grips off, lean the bike over, and fill from the low side with a caulking gun until it comes out the top. It helped to cut the vibration on my 99 CR250. Cheap and effective.

Crash 142

May 30, 2002
I had a 2000 and I did put the foam in the frame. It didn't help very much. I also have tried with the bar inserts and the bar snake. All were small improvements, but the bar snake was probably the best of the bunch. The foam in the frame is a pain because it's a pain to clean up the steering stem after you do it. It helped a little, but not worth the hassle.

You might try a RG3 top triple clamp. It has softer rubber than the stock clamp.

I'll bet your best bet before you do any of this might be a set of flex bars. I've never ridden with them, but they might be the ticket.

Also - and I don't know about this - could the jetting affect the amount of vibration? Maybe a few tweaks there would help - and be the cheapest solution.

My 2000 didn't vibrate horribly, but it was annoying. I just bought a set of Tag grips in soft/medium. My friend says they are great, and they feel much softer than any other grips. I got these to help with arm pump, not vibration - but they might be another cheap option for you.

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
Another cause of the vibration could be worn crank bearings. Pull off the ignition cover and try to move the flywheel up and down, and in and out. If there is any play, the bearings are worn out. This can make a bike vibrate like crazy.And if the bearings let go at 10,000 rpm... D'oh!

SuperCam

Aug 29, 2004
not sure if this is your prob, but a friends bar shook when he went fast and he got a steering stabalizer adn it helped him out alot

Top Bottom